Recarbonating a keg

Buckzilla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Beverage Air kegerator I had to have sent out for repairs. I had 2 kegs carbonated when I disconnected the co2 lines and I put them into another refrigerator without co2 connected. I tapped a beer from both after a week and they were flat but no off flavors. There was still some pressure on the kegs so my question is would I be able to force carbonate them again and would you think the beer would still be good?

Assuming you will be carbing them up again soon, then yes and yes.

My opinion, you will be just fine.

Agree: Yes and Yes. I do this sometimes, never had a problem.

Agree with all above. I don't see it happening the beer at all.

I would, however, find the leak. You are losing co2 somewhere

There was still some pressure on the kegs so my question is would I be able to force carbonate them again and would you think the beer would still be good?
Yes you can recarbonate them but you will need to find where your co2 leak is coming from - could be a post or the main lid - pressure both kegs to 25-30 psi - this will help seal the lid. then you can try and listen for the leak or easier would be to use a spray bottle with soapy water to spay around each post and the main lid - looking for bubbles. When I have had leaks like this it is usually the top of the co2 post didn't reseat itself correctly so I'd check that first.

Good luck.

Back