Reasons for missing OG ?

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
I calibrated my hydrometer (but will check it again), so it's likely not that.
Target was 1052, but I got 1041.
This is the second time with this beer, with just some tweaks; last time I was just a tad over.
The efficiency on this calculates to 56% .. this is my 7th AG batch and I've not had a result lower than 67%.

Right now, I'm sitting here thinking that something got weighed wrong at my LHBS (they weigh out and crush everything per my BrewersFriend print outs, by batch).
1) I noted to myself that for 1.6 qts/pound ratio it seemed "soupy"
2) I had to shut off my sparge early or would have over-shot pre-boil volume

What could I have done in my process to miss this big and have such low efficiency? I'm using the same process as the six previous batches and have hit every OG within a couple of points.

MrBIP

Quality Home Brew said:
and how are you measuring your water?

Got a 1 gallon pitcher marked off in quarts, it's tape run up the side, measured and mark by me some time ago.

I got a decent little scale, but I'm not weighing my own grains when I go to the LHBS. When I order on line, I have measure it all out since it all comes on 1 pound increments.

always weigh out the grains or the final grain weight of all of them together to the gram if you can, it does matter

its also possible your Equipment Profiles settings or your efficiency in the recipe is not correct

A number of things can go into efficiency problems.
As stated above, the weight is certainly 1 of them, but there are others as well.
Start with grain crush. Look at the grains when you get them. Are the hulls all cracked? If not, the mill setting may need to be adjusted so they are.
Next would be recipe. Does your recipe include a lot of adjuncts/ flaked products? If it does, make sure you have enough base grain to convert those items. You may need to extend your mash time to get full conversion.
Check your mash with iodine to insure full conversion.
Temperature can also speed or slow conversion, so on a lower temperature mash you may need to lengthen the mash time.
Water amount and PH can affect how your mash converts. A grain bill with more % of darker and or crystal malts will usually drop the PH into the right range. If you're making a lighter beer, you may need to adjust your water to insure getting into the correct PH range.
Mash out and sparging technique can also contribute to differences in efficiency. Trying to be consistent with your process will help you dial in your system. Also, don't expect the same efficiency on a bigger grain bill as a smaller one. It just stands to reason that you'll have less sparge water and therefore end up leaving more sugars behind.
I hope this helps.
Brian

Here's the recipe: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... mber-lager
It's one I brewed previously and this is just making some tweaks in it. Since I had done it before, I used the resulting efficiencies and attenuation for this recipe.
No adjuncts or flakes.
I checked for conversion at 45 minutes and was there, but left it for the balance of 60 anyway.
Batch sparge I stopped at 20 minutes instead of 30, but certainly wouldn't have caused that?

At this point, convinced that I was 2 pounds short on base malt.

I'd have to go with the measurement hypothesis on this one. I've missed by maximum .008 and can explain that by failing to get all the wort out of my kettle. You missed by .011? That's not water chemistry! All I can think of is either you're right and the HBS really shorted you on grain or you somehow killed off the enzymes but your temps weren't warm enough for that. There is the possibility I mentioned, that you somehow failed to drain all the wort from your kettle but then you'd have had to top off to dilute the wort and would be aware of it. Our LHBS allows us to measure and crush our own grains but even then, I double-check using the hanging scales they provide. If you're within a few ounces either way, no big deal (and no measurable effect on your wort). I'm SURE (wink, wink) that they guy measuring your grains didn't intentionally have his thumb on the scale but it never hurts to double-check the total weight on the scale against what you think you should have.

The guy at LHBS was by himself and got interrupted about 3 times and I was wandering around gathering up other stuff, likely just lost track of things. Lesson learned, I'll measure the weight of what's in the bag before I next brew. I'll just call it the little lumberjack amber ale.

Or "Monty Python Lumberjack Lager"? :lol:
Good luck with it! Think of it this way: It's a session beer.

that recipe is going to taste very good in the lines of a light Belgian ale I like it :D

Well, by golly, this actually turned out ok! It's not what I intended, but it's good and tasty.
I'm going to be brewing what my original intent was next weekend, so it will be an interesting comparsion in 6 weeks or so.

^^^^
Your're beer lasts six weeks? :shock:

LOL...

If I've learned nothing else in this hobby, I've learned patience.

Back