Really like my new fermenter

I really like my 6.5 gallon ported Big Mouths. I've never had a single issue that I see others post about. I do love glass, but the big mouths are just so easy to clean.

Dunno, maybe the newer ones are better, but the 2 I got early on sucked. The Fermonsters have an opening that's almost as big. Must admit though, 20 years ago my forearm never would have fit through the opening :)

I have a couple of plastic carboys. I hate them. They feel like big soda bottles and I'm afraid they will crack every time I pick them up. The cool thing about the Speidels is the handles and they are made of very thick and indestructible plastic. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure it would survive if I dropped it while it was full. Also, not being clear isn't an issue for me. It gives me a little discipline not needing to peek all the time and if I do need to peek the krausen is only a couple of twists away.

I have a couple of plastic carboys. I hate them. They feel like big soda bottles and I'm afraid they will crack every time I pick them up. The cool thing about the Speidels is the handles and they are made of very thick and indestructible plastic. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure it would survive if I dropped it while it was full. Also, not being clear isn't an issue for me. It gives me a little discipline not needing to peek all the time and if I do need to peek the krausen is only a couple of twists away.
I have plastic carboys from 2011 when I started this madness, er, hobby. Unless you're putting them under pressure or in the trunk in summer, they'll hold the load. That said, I do like my Speidel, so much I've given it over to SWAMBO for wine making.

Back