Re-using yeast - how?

Got it.
I'd been thinking I'd want to pour the yeast in; right now I'd have to scoop and plop it. I'll play it by ear come brew day.

Got it.
I'd been thinking I'd want to pour the yeast in; right now I'd have to scoop and plop it. I'll play it by ear come brew day.
Don't overthink it you do you and they'll make beer:p

Yup, I've never measured a smack pack vs a 500ml jar of slurry to compare amounts but I think a 500ml is significantly more yeast.

+1 to overbuilding and saving starters, here's what I usually do.

Make a starter with an extra ~50B cells. Once the starter is done, I swirl it all together so it's roughly homogenous, then pitch all but the percentage of the volume 50B cells takes up. Alternatively if I'm building the starter in advance, I'll cold crash, decant then save the percentage of volume of the dense slurry.

I'll usually save that bit of the starter in an 8 oz mason jar. Since I've switched to mostly kveik yeasts, I've also taken to drying some of it in my toaster oven (which goes down to dehydrating temperatures). Dry on lowest setting (100F for me), on parchment paper. Crumble up, pour into ziploc bag and freeze for long term storage. If something goes wrong with my liquid culture, or I just feel I've been using it for a long time, I'll refresh it from the dried culture.

With that said, I don't recommend this if you have cheap dry yeast forms, now that Lallemand has a dry form of Voss, I'll probably try out for ease of use.

Oh yes, I am sure I wildly overpitched, but likely no harm. A pack of S 04 is only 2 dollars and change, it wasn't for the money but for the experience. Now I know.

I'm super cheap when it comes to yeast so I do it a lot. Still haven't worked up the nerve to dry yeast but I have frozen many samples for later usage. Not sure why I fixated on it but it has proved educational.

ince I've switched to mostly kveik yeasts, I've also taken to drying some of it in my toaster oven (which goes down to dehydrating temperatures)

Priceless...how much dried are you using in a 5 gallon batch? I have a jelly jar full of kveik slurry I want to put to use some time soon

Priceless...how much dried are you using in a 5 gallon batch? I have a jelly jar full of kveik slurry I want to put to use some time soon
I don't pitch dry, I use it to restart my house starter culture, in which case I pitch about 3g of yeast (roughly 50B cells) into my starter.

However if the density of our house dried cultures are anything close to other dried yeasts, it's approximately 18B cells per gram. So you could probably pitch anywhere from 4-11 grams into your wort depending on what you want your pitch rate to be.

I don't pitch dry, I use it to restart my house starter culture, in which case I pitch about 3g of yeast (roughly 50B cells) into my starter.

However if the density of our house dried cultures are anything close to other dried yeasts, it's approximately 18B cells per gram. So you could probably pitch anywhere from 4-11 grams into your wort depending on what you want your pitch rate to be.

sounds like I should play with some dme over the holidays.

Back