10lbs 2row
6lbs flaked wheat
3 lbs Chit
.5 lb acid

Brew 2:
14 lbs 2 row
3 lbs 6 row
.5 acid

can you guess which batch had crystal clear wort and which one was hazy?
if you guessed brew 2 being the clear one you'd be wrong!

both using the same brew system, the only difference I can think of is I used a local maltster for 2 row in brew 2. can the protein content really cause this issue? i've brewed with 6 row before and never had this issue.
its hard to believe the local malt causing more issues than 30% flaked oats though.

what are your guys thoughts.

i brewed 2 batches this weekend.
Brew 1:
10lbs 2row
6lbs flaked wheat
3 lbs Chit
.5 lb acid

Brew 2:
14 lbs 2 row
3 lbs 6 row
.5 acid

can you guess which batch had crystal clear wort and which one was hazy?
if you guessed brew 2 being the clear one you'd be wrong!

both using the same brew system, the only difference I can think of is I used a local maltster for 2 row in brew 2. can the protein content really cause this issue? i've brewed with 6 row before and never had this issue.
its hard to believe the local malt causing more issues than 30% flaked oats though.

what are your guys thoughts.
Yeah, I'da guessed the flaked wheat would cloud up. Hops and yeast can cause cloudiness.

just my $0.02, but haziness before you boil and ferment it? dont care. it will clear.

protiens will cause haziness but at this step in the process alot of that will be consumed and drop out.

just my $0.02, but haziness before you boil and ferment it? dont care. it will clear.
Bang! Let the yeast do their job. It's not clear wort you're after, it's clear beer you're after. Fermentation affects every aspect of the beer, so things change drastically from the beginning of fermentation to the final product.

Tell us about your hops additions. Certain varieties can add polyphenols, causing haze issues.

Back