Raining during boil

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Efficiency aside if some rain water gets into my kettle while boiling will if hurt anything?

IMG_5063.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. I’ll relax

I guess it depends on how toxic your rainwater is.

My first car was driven down from the Adironacks
It had a "Stop Acid Rain" bumper sticker. Lol. I wouldn't have an issue brewing under my canopy in a light rain. Transferring to the faucet where the wort chiller is might be an issue. That is why I get up early to brew. We can get some nasty thunderstorms during the afternoon in the summer.

I keep my wort under an porch awning, and here is why. I noticed my humming bird feeders out in the open when bad quickly. Ambient yeast just flat ate them up and turned them cloudy very quickly. I remounted them under the porch eves around 2 feet and they stay clear for weeks, and the humming birds don't seem to mind much at all.

My first car was driven down from the Adironacks
It had a "Stop Acid Rain" bumper sticker. Lol. I wouldn't have an issue brewing under my canopy in a light rain. Transferring to the faucet where the wort chiller is might be an issue. That is why I get up early to brew. We can get some nasty thunderstorms during the afternoon in the summer.
Gotta love that Gulf Coast weather. If you don't like it, just wait 5 minutes, it'll change.

Gotta love that Gulf Coast weather. If you don't like it, just wait 5 minutes, it'll change.
We are between both coasts. When it gets hot in the summer, the two seabreezes collide inland and make for some crazy storms in the afternoon. The lightning has taken out appliances and ACs in the past. It hasn't been too bad this week , but they get wild sometimes.
I actually had to do a double take tonight as I came outside, sat down, did not sweat my ass off in two minutes, and actually have a nice breeze.

Last edited:
The only problem I can see is that it might give your beer a smoky flavor.

(I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist this comment considering what has been going on with all the Canadian fires this year.)
I grilled last year close to my Marzen brewing. Didn’t help haha

Rain? I've brewed during a hurricane and 2 tropical storms. (the weather was milder than it sounds to be fair) You've got nothing to worry about. Just be sure to cover the kettle *after* the boil for sure if it is still raining.

Back