Quick Water requirements

Threefold Brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I absolutely love the new water requirements. I was playing with the new mash tun exceeding warning, and in every recipe the calculator is taking the grits ratio from my profile, not from the mash requirements in the recipe builder.

Anyone else notice this?

That is correct. What we could do is add a mash thickness field to the mash section. The mash section on the recipe editor is really just a guideline.

the water requirements should be taking the grits ratio from the mash sections of the recipe builder. Not all of beers have the same qt/lbs ratio. in order for the mash tun exceeding warning to work per batch, it should be taking it from the specific recipe, not my profile

HicksBrewer said:
Not all of beers have the same qt/lbs ratio.
I change my ratio as I mash in all the time. Brewed a lot without software. Never did try to figure a way to calculate out water requirements with different adjuncts and different grists. Just mixed until it was just right, checked water volume and recorded it. The profile figure is a good place to start for me. How do you calculate your mash thickness prior to mashing?

Depending on what i want out of the wort, IE fermentablity or maltier higher finishing FG, I choose either 145-150 /1.8qts/lbs or higher, 154-156/1.25 or lower. Grits ratio plays a big role in fermentabilty and controlling it is easy. So every batch for me is different, whether i'm trying to jam as much grain in my ten gallon mash tun at a 1.1 qts/lbs, or mashing a super fermentable IPA. So the quick water requirements should be taking the strike water volume and the grits ratio straight from the mash section of the recipe builder, not from my profile settings.

A field for mash thickness on the recipe, located in the mash section, does make sense. The system could use the profile default if it isn't set. The system could also pre-fill that field.

exactly. it could fill that in to max out the mash tun so you don't have any head space, OR you can fill it in with your desired mash thickness and apply it to the quick water requirements

Don't want to clutter recipe editor with brewing questions so will start a new thread in brewing questions about mash thickness. Please join in Hicksbrewer.

Back