Questions - New England IPA (recipe included)

Reaction score
Hi guys.

This weekend I'd like to make the beer below. I am a huge fan of the real thing, and since Brewdog released all their recipes online for free I thought why not.

Naturally I have a few questions!

1. Some of the grain is hard to find at the moment. My local shop says to substitute Propino with Morris Otter and Flaked Oats with Naked Malted Oats. Any ideas what the differences might be?

2. The recipe is for 5 gallons. I brew to 1 gallon. Do I just divide quantities by 5? (I realise it's a daft sounding question).

3. The vermont yeast strain below is specially cultivated for Brewdog. I have bought two vials and not sure which to use yet - WHC Lab Liquid Yeast Sanders 150ml, and WHC Lab Liquid Yeast Juice Machine 150ml. Any thoughts? What about quantity for my one gallon? half?

4. Some recipes like this one, does not have the quantity of water to use. Does it vary that much depending on the grains used? (because some of them soak up more than others). If not, I'll go with 3 quarts water for the mash and a gallon for the sparge, as that worked well recently as I was left with a full gallon after the boil.

5. The recipe says to add some hops at whirlpool and some at FV. By this, I would assume the whirlpool I'd add after the boil then at 60mins (remember I am stove top brewing so not really possible to whirlpool) and FV I think stands for fermentation vessel, so basically this is dry hopping right after adding the yeast?

upload_2020-6-16_17-23-3.png

Thanks again everyone

Jonny

These guys do it right, no boil hops. You can't whirlpool, but you can... for 10 minutes or so just stir every 30 seconds or so (sanitation is key here). The reason they don't include water is that everyone's system is different, and has different losses/deadspace. I will say that the two FV additions would be one during peak fermentation, and the second as fermentation slows down.
Flaked oats, you can get at the grocery store, or the bulk store.
Yes, divide ingredients by 5 will work, then calculate you water losses due to absorption of grains, and hops, as well as boil off rate.

Any base malt will do, just enter the recipe in BF and adjust the base malt to get to the desired OG. You could use any malted wheat, and or flaked wheat as well.

On the yeasts I can't see that either will be better or worse from the descriptions on their website. Half a vial will be plenty.

FV = fermentation vessel

On the yeasts I can't see that either will be better or worse from the descriptions on their website. Half a vial will be plenty.
Cheers Mark. The yeasts arrived last night and are in rather awkward plastic pouches that would be tricky to keep half full in the fridge. Do you think there would be a downside if I pitched the whole pouch into my 1 gallon wort?

Cheers Mark. The yeasts arrived last night and are in rather awkward plastic pouches that would be tricky to keep half full in the fridge. Do you think there would be a downside if I pitched the whole pouch into my 1 gallon wort?
Probably not, but you could pour half into a sanitised jar and store that in the fridge until your next batch.

Thanks!

So it really means dry hopping? But instead of a specific point in time, its a point in fermentation?
That would be my best guess, that is what I do when I make a Hazy NEIPA
So just stir the boil? Or at the end of the boil?
I normally cool to about 180F, then add the whirlpool hop addition and stir for at least 10 minutes.

Thanks!

So it really means dry hopping? But instead of a specific point in time, its a point in fermentation?
It's an unfortunate name but yes, it means adding the hops to the already fermenting beer. And if you can't whirlpool, just steep the hops in the hot wort, meaning dump them in and stir, then let sit. Cooling to 180 degrees F stops the hops from adding bitterness so it's a good idea as well. As far as the yeast goes, just dump the whole thing in. Or dump approximately half in and toss the rest. I wouldn't try to keep it at your experience level. Make sure you cool your beer to near the fermentation temperature before adding the yeast.

Flaked oats are the same thing as Quaker Quick Oats if you have a grocery store around.

Yes you can downsize the recipe, your numbers might not check out precisely but keep notes and when it's done adjust accordingly for your next attempt at it.

Mark is right about the yeast, I'd say if you have a 2L growler jug or something make yourself a small starter with the yeast package, pour half of it in your beer and use the other half later. 2 for the price of 1! Or just pour the pouch in, you won't hurt it.

Back