Question on filtering

hbt2

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I brewed a raspberry wheat beer that I am about to bottle. I know you don't want to filter out needed yeast before bottling but was thinking of using my hop spider in the bottling bucket to catch the larger particles. It's a 300 micron spider and I would put it on the bottom to prevent splashing. Would this work or should I not? Thanks for any advise.

Hi, I brewed a raspberry wheat beer that I am about to bottle. I know you don't want to filter out needed yeast before bottling but was thinking of using my hop spider in the bottling bucket to catch the larger particles. It's a 300 micron spider and I would put it on the bottom to prevent splashing. Would this work or should I not? Thanks for any advise.
Are you using a siphon? You can attach a sanitized hop bag to the submerged end of the siphon to filter out large particles. Unfortunately using a filter on the tubing end will aerate your beer, even at the bottom of the bucket. Maybe once submerged you would be fine, but most of what I've read suggests a filter on the beer side as opposed to the bucket side

Are you using a siphon? You can attach a sanitized hop bag to the submerged end of the siphon to filter out large particles. Unfortunately using a filter on the tubing end will aerate your beer, even at the bottom of the bucket. Maybe once submerged you would be fine, but most of what I've read suggests a filter on the beer side as opposed to the bucket side
Hi, Yes I use a siphon. Thanks for the advice.

Hi, Yes I use a siphon. Thanks for the advice.
Good luck. I've also sanitized a rubber band to attach the bag to the siphon, it works out alright

I would just let it settle and don't disturb it when you rack it.

I used to do this when transfering via hose similar to what Sunfire laid down.
Worth a go especially If that fruit is loose in the fermentor

I'd put the filter on the outlet side and keep it below the beer. This way you will not impede the flow and you will not have some unwieldy bag on the end of your wand that is more likely to get sucked into your tubing and stir up your trub cake while siphoning off the beer from your fermenter. Your yeast will be fine getting through a hop sack or 2. The spider would work but I can see that taking too many hands to adjust things while the level rises in your bottle bucket. Let us know how it goes...or in this case....how it GOSE....;)

Since I have fermenters with spigots, I don’t use auto siphon to transfer. However, when I transfer a dry hopped beer (loose pellets) to the bottling bucket, I use a sanitized hop bag on the outlet end of the tube to catch any hop debris. I just hold the bag and the tube together, taking care to minimize splashing. This method works well for me.

Back