Question for extract brewers

Briess uses their municipal water in Chilton as far as I know. I don't know to what extent they treat their water further, but it contains at least 100ppm Sodium, which is my biggest concern. The calcium is probably also high, i'm guessing 75-100ppm.

"As far as I know" and" I don't know to what extent" aren't what I would consider reasonable arguments against a product you apparently don't care for, and your preference is subjective. I hope you're not going to try and sell your decision to your customers with these arguments.

"As far as I know" and" I don't know to what extent" aren't what I would consider reasonable arguments against a product you apparently don't care for, and your preference is subjective. I hope you're not going to try and sell your decision to your customers with these arguments.
"As far as I know" is based on research I've done asking former Briess employees and reading quite a bit about the subject. "I don't know to what extent" is because Briess keeps it a secret and doesn't share exactly what they do. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've done some research on the subject. If you've got other facts to present, I'm all ears. And yes, if I decide to go this route, I will use these "arguments" to sell to the customer, because I care about my customers using the best ingredients they have available to them. Now back to the question originally posted...

Just playing the devil's advocate. You're using this forum as a sounding board, so you should expect different perspectives. During my many years as a business owner, and several working in retail sales, I learned that reasons sell better than excuses.

Reason: I know it's more expensive but I really feel that this extract is a better value and am confident that you will too once you've tried it.

Excuse: " As far as I know," Briess uses their municipal water to make their extracts. "I don't know to what extent" they treat the water, but I find their extracts to be overly mineralized, so I'm switching to Muntons. It's more expensive, but I think it's better.

Which would make you, as a customer, feel more comfortable spending an extra couple of bucks?

That’s why you need to keep both on hand. Let your customers choose what’s best for them, not you. That makes your reasoning to the customer more credible, otherwise you’re just justifying why you only offer one choice. And how expensive can it be to inventory a second choice? You are in business, if your margins are that thin, try another business.

Back