Question about root beer…

MrStacy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This may not be the proper place to ask this, but I need to make a homemade root beer for an upcoming event (May 5th). I know it involves using root beer extract, some vanilla, and a lot of suga, but I don’t have a reliable recipe. I’m not going for a hard root beer (kids will be drinking this). I homebrew and have kegs and the CO2, etc. Does anyone have a great recipe that I can get made and carbonated by May 5th?

This may not be the proper place to ask this, but I need to make a homemade root beer for an upcoming event (May 5th). I know it involves using root beer extract, some vanilla, and a lot of suga, but I don’t have a reliable recipe. I’m not going for a hard root beer (kids will be drinking this). I homebrew and have kegs and the CO2, etc. Does anyone have a great recipe that I can get made and carbonated by May 5th?
i've made it before, I can't remember which extract was the best but one was better and I think I have the recipe on here somewhere, there is a recipe here down the page

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/root-beer-recipe-process.11213/

My dad and I used to make it with an extract that Hire's sold in the grocery store and we used bread yeast..it was very sweet and yeasty as I recall..oh and carbonated like crazy...gushers and a couple of bottle bombs! I don't recall fermenting it so for all I know, it fermented in the bottles though that makes no sense....
So a quick trip to Amazon learned me that Hire's is still out there but the recipe involves dry ice...so wtf is that about? I found this that sounds like the same way we made it..with a ton of sugar!

Anyhow...it's made in Pennsylvania so it can't be that bad! Shank's Root Beer Extract, 4 fl oz https://a.co/d/duQHudE

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Root beer is indeed fermented, but in a way that produces less than 0.5% abv but a lot of carbonation. You can bypass the yeast by force-carbonation.

Hires, Shanks, or others should be available most anywhere.

the sugar and carbonation is really the key, I had to add more sugar to my first batch and had a hard time carbonating like you would get from say A&W back in the day, those were sooooo good

Back