Question about BIAB pot size

Arbe0

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Barbour international bc 44 quart ss Fryer/steamer with a lid and basket.
How large a brew can I make with this pot as a BIAB? I am hoping it is large enough for a 5 gallon BIAB.
you can see it by doing a search for Barbour international bc 44 quart ss Fryer/stemer with a lid and basket.

That should be fine for a 5 gallon batch.

Setup a recipe as BIAB, run it through the 'Brew' feature, then look on the water requirements tab. It will tell the total water volume required. The max volume will be a little higher because the grain takes up space too.

Off the top of my head, the boil volume is around 7 gallons. With the grain and the water during mash the total volume is what, maybe 9-10 gallons? I think you will be okay. If it is too small, it won't be by much, and you can always mash thicker, then top off to hit the desired pre boil volume.

You may need to build your own false bottom like I did:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/06/23 ... can-order/

By the way, I shoot for 5.5 gallon batches (to the fermentor) so I can fill a keg - you loose some to the yeast cake, samples, etc.

the 44 qt. pot comes with a basket because it is a Fryer/steamer. it is large inside the pot so i think it will hold the grains without burning them.

Back