Question about adjuncting with LME

MrStacy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have searched around online and can’t seem to find a definitive calculator for how much LME to add to wort in order to increase the OG by, say 10 points (e.g. estimated original gravity is 1.050, but I want 1.060). I have some LME that says SG is 1.035 pppg, but I don’t know the formula to calculate how much to add to a five gallon brew to get to about a 10 point gravity increase. Anyone with a link or the formula?

3.3 lbs or so (for 10 gallon batch...) - 1.75 for a 5 gallon batch should give you 11 points... so less than that for 10 points - probably close to 1.5 lbs

Last edited:
I have searched around online and can’t seem to find a definitive calculator for how much LME to add to wort in order to increase the OG by, say 10 points (e.g. estimated original gravity is 1.050, but I want 1.060). I have some LME that says SG is 1.035 pppg, but I don’t know the formula to calculate how much to add to a five gallon brew to get to about a 10 point gravity increase. Anyone with a link or the formula?
You can use the calculator on here which takes LME average pppg (or you can search your specific LME) and then start trying to adjust your recipe to fit. There are some videos on here on how to use the recipe builder

Assuming you are brewing 5 gallons - you need 10 points per gallon (1.060 - 1.050 x 1000 = 10 (per gallon))
so 10 x 5 = 50 ( ie. 50 points)
if your LME adds 35 points per pound added then....
50 points needed divided by 35 points per pound = 1.42 lbs of LME to make up your difference.

I hope this helps. (I just play around with the recipe calculator to figure it out... lol - but the above is the legitimate math)

This might work
Screenshot_20240203_202010_Chrome.jpg

Choose any of them you just wanna know ow the Gravity right?
Screenshot_20240203_202020_Chrome.jpg

35PPG it looks the LME is set to...

That 1kg of LME 's expected yield in mu 21Lt batch size is 1.014 SG points

You will need to input your batch size to get correct calculations for your brew.

Assuming you are brewing 5 gallons - you need 10 points per gallon (1.060 - 1.050 x 1000 = 10 (per gallon))
so 10 x 5 = 50 ( ie. 50 points)
if your LME adds 35 points per pound added then....
50 points needed divided by 35 points per pound = 1.42 lbs of LME to make up your difference.

I hope this helps. (I just play around with the recipe calculator to figure it out... lol - but the above is the legitimate math)
^^ This.

I calculated it a different way but came up with the same answer. My way:

You know you need 10 more gravity points. You know your extract adds 35 points per pound per gallon. You need to add 10/35 = 0.2857 pounds per gallon. Multiply that by 5 and you get = 1.429 pounds.

I have requested that the calculator on Brewers Friend be updated to include a calculation for adding DME/LME to increase gravity. Brewfather has this calculator in their software, that is what I use.

Back