PVC draft tower, negatives?

Cory001

Trial Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of building a draft tower out of PVC. For cost reasons. I have most everything in 2 inch laying around to build it.

Wondering if there are any real negatives.

My though is pvc will insulate better? But, I would be adding some foam insulation. The tower will be an upside down U shape with 3 tees for 3 taps. Also, a small fan to force cold air through it.

Thank you!

Ya, definitely run some test pours though it before I put a fan on it. I might be pleased without the fan. I found a nearly brand new chest freezer at our local recycle center. The thermostat went out so they threw it out. I just bypassed it since I use an inkbird anyways. Free is definitely for me! lol

PVC should be fine. It only needs to be mechanically supportive. Metal might look better or last longer but at a cost.

Pros use a line with chilled water (or glycol) running through it. I agree, try it without a fan, then with a fan if needed. Last step is a liquid chiller line.

How much distance will there be between the tap and the exit from the freezer where you were planning to put a fan?

20230117_173757.jpg
20230126_180831.jpg
20230125_192018.jpg

Its still a work in progress. But, I dont see myself doing much more to it for awhile. Because, I am testing out an intertap faucet with the duotight flow control ball lock fitting. So far it seems to be pouring great. Line distance is only about 3 feet. Which is great not having 9 foot of line per tap thrown in the keezer.

Seems to be doing fine without a fan. But the real test will be this Florida heat.

Seems to be doing fine without a fan. But the real test will be this Florida heat.
I think you will find it won't matter for that short distance. Beer will warm in the lines, but with 3/16" lines that is about 1oz

Not how pictures it in my head, but i like this better.

Just needs a picture of super Mario behind it. :D
Yes to Mario! Ya its not a typical setup. But I used parts I had lying around, and the freezer was free. So the only investment was the stuff for the tap and the inkbird. Also, when I went to buy the inkbird (usually $35) amazon had a flash sale. If I bought it in the next 15mins it said, it was only $20. Score!

Yes to Mario! Ya its not a typical setup. But I used parts I had lying around, and the freezer was free. So the only investment was the stuff for the tap and the inkbird. Also, when I went to buy the inkbird (usually $35) amazon had a flash sale. If I bought it in the next 15mins it said, it was only $20. Score!
sweet, those things used to be $12, lol. I have like 4 of em laying around somewhere, lol.

Its still a work in progress. But, I dont see myself doing much more to it for awhile. Because, I am testing out an intertap faucet with the duotight flow control ball lock fitting. So far it seems to be pouring great. Line distance is only about 3 feet. Which is great not having 9 foot of line per tap thrown in the keezer.
That looks sweet! Very nice.

Questions about the flow control ball-lock fitting: Which one did you get, and how do you like it? Easy enough to adjust?

I ask because the stainless one on MoreBeer is something like $75 and I hesitate to drop so much on one if it's crap.
I use only picnic taps at the moment, but wasting the CO2 to go from carbonation pressure to serving pressure just rubs me wrong. Sure, for $75 I can buy a lot of CO2, but that's not the point.

PVC does not have very good insulation properties compared to other materials like metal or wood. PVC is a thermoplastic, which means it does not have a good capacity to retain heat or cold.

Back