Purging secondary

I agree 100%. So do you make a starter or would you just add the yeast to the priming sugar solution, then to the bottling bucket?
I add the yeast and the priming solution to the bottling bucket at the same time and then rack the beer on top. The swirling action spreads out the yeast fairly well. Then I make sure to stir in a gentle vertical loop to get the yeast suspended top to bottom. As long as there is no splashing, the oxygenation should be minimal....I hope. I also stir a couple of times during bottling, which I normally don't do. The important thing isn't to get an even distribution of yeast but to get at least some yeast into every bottle. You don't have to worry about too much yeast in a bottle. Once the sugars in the priming solution are consumed, refermentation will stop, regardless of how many yeast cells are there to do the work.

I add the yeast and the priming solution to the bottling bucket at the same time and then rack the beer on top. The swirling action spreads out the yeast fairly well. Then I make sure to stir in a gentle vertical loop to get the yeast suspended top to bottom. As long as there is no splashing, the oxygenation should be minimal....I hope. I also stir a couple of times during bottling, which I normally don't do. The important thing isn't to get an even distribution of yeast but to get at least some yeast into every bottle. You don't have to worry about too much yeast in a bottle. Once the sugars in the priming solution are consumed, refermentation will stop, regardless of how many yeast cells are there to do the work.
The packaging of the CBC yeast recommends that I should use 2g/5gal. Considering that there will be unequal distribution to some level, should I just double that, 4g?

The packaging of the CBC yeast recommends that I should use 2g/5gal. Considering that there will be unequal distribution to some level, should I just double that, 4g?
I don't weigh it. I just pour in about 1/2 the packet; so about 5-6g. I don't actually remember if I was told that or read the directions and rounded up; probably both.

Won't hurt, might help.

I've not brewed an Imperial Stout but every year (except this one :() I brew either a Scottish Wee Heavy or a w00t Stout. I transfer those to a glass carboy for bulk aging (4-9 months). The long bulk aging allows for complex flavors to develop. I would use a secondary vessel (preferable glass due to it being impervious to oxygen) if you plan to ferment longer than 6 weeks. You can go longer in the primary fermentor but, I don't really know where that limit is. When transferring to a secondary vessel, be very focused on sanitation and leave very little head space. The small head space is important because you don't have the benefit of very active yeast consuming what oxygen you will introduce when you transfer. But, on the other hand, don't stress too much about oxidation either. Any big beer big enough to bulk age is a beer that will help hide a little oxidation. Not to say you should ignore it, just don't freak out about it. One last suggestion. When bottling a beer you've bulk aged, add yeast when bottling. After months in secondary, there may not be enough healthy yeast cells to consume the priming sugar. I use CBC-1. It is neutral yeast with a high alcohol tolerance. Avoid champaign yeasts because they will ferment sugars that are unfermentable to regular beer yeasts. So you will likely over-carbonate your beer.

Edit: I have to start proof-reading my posts before I hit "Post". I got it wrong in the first few words....W00t Stout IS an Imperial Stout. :rolleyes:
So, When you rack to a carboy for bulk aging do you seal it with a airlock?
Also, what is your opinion of the sealable stoppers?

So, When you rack to a carboy for bulk aging do you seal it with a airlock?
Also, what is your opinion of the sealable stoppers?
I use an S-type airlock. I assume less surface area means less evaporation and therefore less risk of a dry airlock.
When you say "sealable stoppers" are you referring to a breathable stopper like this? I've not used them but, they look like they would work nicely.

Yes. The description states that CO2 would be allowed to vent but O2 not.
Myself, I also like the S type where I can see that there is positive pressure in the fermenter ensuring that there is no leaks.

Back