Pumpkin Spice in Pumpkin Ale

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Last week, when transferring to secondary, I tasted my pumpkin ale. When I brewed it, I used what came with the kit, a small baggy, 1tsp is what the kit said it was. So... was a little dissapointed that didn't really get any pumpkin spice taste last week. Today, I'm going to put a clarifying agent in and thought I'd taste it again. If I don't get any pumpkin spice taste, thought it might be ok to add it now; this is going to sit one more week, planning to bottle on November 3. Should be ok to add some more spice at this point? It's a five gallon batch, I'm guessing there is 4-1/2 gallons in the carboy. I was thinking something like 1tsp cinammon, 1/2 tsp each ginger, nutmeg and clove (I don't have any allspice in the cupboard).

The kit instructions said to add at the end of the boil, so this is what I did, but did before running the wort chiller, perhaps this was a mistake? Temp too high and just boiled off the spice?

Taste it first, and yeah you are okay adding more spice directly to the fermentor.

The recipe might just be light on spice flavor compared to what you are looking for.

Add spice conservatively. You can always add more.

ya, still could taste any of the spice, went with 1/2 tsp cinamon and 1/4 tsp each ginger, clove and nutmeg ... will give it a few days and taste again. Thanks for the feedback on that.

Had a similar issue - spices were lost in the green beer. Bottled the beer and the spice comes through just fine now! I used the following spices for 3 Gal beer:

Spices (added @5 Min, bagged)
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Ginger Root
1/8 Tsp Cloves

Nice spice flavor now!

thanks ...
I put it in the carboy yesterday and of course it's pretty much just floating around on top. I plan to bottle this weekend, so thinking I'll taste again before bottle once the syphoning process sorta mixes it in better.

But .. seems that it might present itself a bit more after sitting in the bottles for couple weeks, so maybe I just won't mess with it regardless of whether or not I taste that spice ... can always brew this again and adjust the next time, right?

Back