Pumpkin Ale brew session in a few days

Norwaystout

Trial Member
Reaction score
Finally its that time of year,I am brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend. This will be my second go at it and though I would ask if anybody is doing the same this year and maybe some tips or suggestions? Last year I made a pumpkin wheat beer from extract, canned pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice that turned out pretty good. This year I want to try a whole new recipe without wheat and using all grain. One thing I did learn last year, since it was an extract brew, is that adding the pumpkin to the boil worked well for color and body. Instead of adding it to the mash like some recipes call for.

If you can get your hands on it or do it yourself, fresh-roasted pumpkin sprinkled with a bit of brown sugar makes a really good Pumpkin Ale. My personal favorite is Pumpkin ESB - the biscuity base beer gives almost the impression of pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust.

Clean and cut your pumpkin, arrange it in a layer, sprinkle with brown sugar, roast at 325 degrees F for about 45 minutes or until it starts to brown. Scrape the roast pumpkin off the skin and use it in your brew, or a pumpkin pie.

I love the biscuit idea for the crust of a pie, I am going to do that. I have also decided to try real pumpkins this year to see if I like the difference. I even read someone using whipped cream flavored vodka at bottling for an all around pumpkin pie taste. I think that might be too risky for me though lol.

I get the "whipped cream" flavor through addition of a touch of vanilla right before I add priming sugar. You make a tincture of vanilla bean in cheap vodka (or buy some high-quality vanilla extract) and add it to taste. It's really the final touch. We have a spice shop less than a mile from our home. I buy high-quality spices, including pumpkin pie spice, and handle them with care using extracts rather than estimating. Makes a big difference in the final flavor of a beer like this!

Back