Pros: Blow-off? Spunding? Something else?

Let it blow off into a sanitized container - great way to collect yeast for those so inclined!

Um I'm feeling a little left out here... I've never used a blow off tube:oops:. I feel brewing life may have robbed me of some unforseen pleasure or maybe not:D!
Totally. I actually never used one (or even knew about one) until i moved away from fermenting in a plastic bucket. I always used an airlock. Never had issues with blowouts.

I only use one now because my fermenting vessel has a blowoff cane. Much easier to attach a hose than buy fittings to make it point up, just to use my airlocks.

Um I'm feeling a little left out here... I've never used a blow off tube:oops:. I feel brewing life may have robbed me of some unforseen pleasure or maybe not:D!
Oh my Lord!
You have never used a blow off tube!

I have the 3 piece bubbles with a 2 foot length of tubing stuck on it and they work pretty good as long as they don't blow out themselves.

only blow of hoses for me, if not enough pressure to push out the tube it just carbonates the beer which is fine

Actually I wonder if I could just stuff the hose in the brew bucket holes.

Actually I wonder if I could just stuff the hose in the brew bucket holes.
That’s exactly what I do. The 1/2” silicone tubing fits nice and snug, and I put the other end in a Star San filled water bottle

64AFC054-20E9-4F17-A074-CD05203480B3.jpeg

After having a couple of fermentation eruptions, a started using a blow off tube. I use a silicone bung with two holes in it, one is for the blow off tube, the other is for the thermowell that controls the inkbird. When it is time to add dry hops, I switch to a 3 piece air lock, and tape the temperature probe to the side of the fermenter.
IMG_20190317_1011121.jpg

Back