Proper keg serving pressure for a 4 vols beer(short term and long term)

FeralBrewMinster

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello this is my first time trying kegs and for various reason I am under pressure to perform. I am kegging my Saison to have lots of carbonation (3.7 vols), my question, how do i keep it well carbonated while serving at 12 psi(wont it revert to 12 psi). Or in the scenario that I setup a home bar and make 3.7 vols saison and then leave it tapped to 12 psi, even in a sealed container without outflow of beer wont it reach equilibrium at 12psi? Is the logic that you pressure it to 23 psi or so and then serve at 12 and then when done serving increase non use pressure to 23 psi? what if someone comes and uses the tap without lowering pressure etc? Sorry used to bottling and have found tons of info on kegs except for this specific question. Probably not a great idea to serve at 23 psi right...? Unless im looking to win a super soaker match?

I do exactly that: storage pressure and serving pressure are different. I pull the release valve until it is almost depressurized, then serve. The beer stays fizzy for many hours at serving pressure. At the end, I put it back to storage pressure.

They also make pressure-reducing taps for this, you serve at 30 psi but it flows out the tap like it was at 3 psi.

Or use the right number of feet of a certain diameter hose yo reduce the pressure that way. 10 feet of 3/16" id hose is good for something like 10 psi reduction.

Hello this is my first time trying kegs and for various reason I am under pressure to perform. I am kegging my Saison to have lots of carbonation (3.7 vols), my question, how do i keep it well carbonated while serving at 12 psi(wont it revert to 12 psi). Or in the scenario that I setup a home bar and make 3.7 vols saison and then leave it tapped to 12 psi, even in a sealed container without outflow of beer wont it reach equilibrium at 12psi? Is the logic that you pressure it to 23 psi or so and then serve at 12 and then when done serving increase non use pressure to 23 psi? what if someone comes and uses the tap without lowering pressure etc? Sorry used to bottling and have found tons of info on kegs except for this specific question. Probably not a great idea to serve at 23 psi right...? Unless im looking to win a super soaker match?

You can serve at 23 psi- I serve soda at 30 psi- but you'll need longer line to balance it. I use 25' of 3/16" ID tubing to serve at 30 psi without an explosion.

Back