Priming with Honey

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Trying a new 2 gallon Brown ale recipe that I'm going to bottle instead of kegging. I want to make my priming solution with honey. Anyone done this before?

I have not but know others who have. Works just as well as any other priming sugar, as long as it is mixed in the beer well. Just dumping some honey in the bottling bucket will probably not get it evenly mixed.

My plan is to mix it with about a cup of hot water before I used it

My plan is to mix it with about a cup of hot water before I used it
If it's real honey, not the brown goo from Walmart, you'll want to pasteurize it: Get it to 170 degrees F and hold it there for five minutes. Lots of nasty stuff in honey.

Plus 1 on Nosey's rec...I am starting to think that honey is what's putting a slight after taste in the last of my kolsch that I brewed 4 months ago. I used honey to prime. I also used it to "help" with a yeast rehydration on another batch of blonde and it's the same off flavor that I can't describe .....never again. ...my first dumper....8^(

In most cases, honey is just expensive sugar. You can do the same thing easier and cheaper with table sugar. Honey is good for marketing but on balance contributes little flavor and cuts body.

Back