Priming a Keg

How should Beer_Pirate's friend carbonate his beer?

• Natural (corn sugar in the keg, with 16 days to go until serving)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Force carb with CO2

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who wants to borrow a keg to serve homebrew to some guests he's having over. Until now, this person has only bottled. With limited fridge space and 1 gas line, it would be easier for me to lend him the keg, let him prime it with corn sugar, and blow out a pint or two of crud before serving. There will be 16 days between when I can lend him the keg and his function, so I'm also wondering if the beer would be fully carbonated at that point. The other option is for me to carbonate it in my kegerator with gas.

Does anyone here prime kegs with sugar, and if so, how much beer/crud do you lose before you get a good pour? I don't want this person's first experience with a keg to be a bad one.

This beer is a hefeweizen so I'm not at all concerned with clarity.

You know that thin layer of crud you get at the bottom of every 12 ounce bottle? That times 53. I don’t see that being a concern.

given the hard deadline, i'd be worried that the beer wouldn't fully carbonate by the time it's served.
personally, i'd go the force carb route so you know that it'll be ready to serve. it also seems more "foolproof" for his first keg experience

given the hard deadline, i'd be worried that the beer wouldn't fully carbonate by the time it's served.
personally, i'd go the force carb route so you know that it'll be ready to serve. it also seems more "foolproof" for his first keg experience
Agree. Being a hefe moving it around after carbing is actually good for a roust and a full hefe flavor from suspended yeast.

Back