Preventing Oxidation....?

Dirty Horse

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just put my first 5 gallon batch of beer into a plastic pressurised keg for the 1st time and let a lot of air get in when transferring the liquid - I just read that this will cause oxidation and I should have carefully 'siphoned' it to prevent air getting into the liquid.

Is there anything i can do at this point to prevent throwing it away?

I read on one site that using the CO2 injector right away should purge the Oxygen from the beer then keep it at as low a temp as possible...

any guidance?

I believe oxidation takes a bit to set in, so if you drink the beer quickly it should be fine.
I'm not meticulous about it, ive been known to pour 2 gallon batches into the bottling bucket because i didnt want to fuss with the autosiphon.
My very first batch i had stirredthe heck out of the wort as it was cooling and pumped the autosiphon like it was a bicycle pump. The batch didnt have much if any cardboard taste, but maybe the vinegar flavor masked it :)

I don't keg, but it seems like youve found some good info from what I've read about it.

Drink it quickly and you'll never know. Otherwise, you could actually add some sugar and let the yeast carbonate. They'll also scavenge up any oxygen in the beer (that's the secret of why bottle-conditioned beers have a longer shelf life than force-carbonated beers). Other alternatives, carbonate and bleed a few cycles will replace most of the air with carbon dioxide. But for the most part, drink it until it starts to taste of cardboard then dump the rest.

Back