Pressure Fermentation Newbie here

geaux_brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just got my Spike Flex+ fermenter in, and I am looking to potentially pressure ferment for the first time.

I was planning to use White Labs WLP 051 California V Ale yeast for a pretty basic Cream Ale recipe that I made. I have brewed the beer before with pretty good results. I have heard mixed reviews on how this yeast does under pressure. I have heard that the pressure could suppress some of the fruity flavors that you are going for with this yeast strain. I have heard some say it was okay. Should I give it a try and just keep the pressure low? Should I wait for a different style of beer/yeast strain to pressure ferment?

Thanks,
Mike

I just got my Spike Flex+ fermenter in, and I am looking to potentially pressure ferment for the first time.

I was planning to use White Labs WLP 051 California V Ale yeast for a pretty basic Cream Ale recipe that I made. I have brewed the beer before with pretty good results. I have heard mixed reviews on how this yeast does under pressure. I have heard that the pressure could suppress some of the fruity flavors that you are going for with this yeast strain. I have heard some say it was okay. Should I give it a try and just keep the pressure low? Should I wait for a different style of beer/yeast strain to pressure ferment?

Thanks,
Mike
What is your reason for fermenting that particular yeast under pressure? Is it for eater reduction?

What is your reason for fermenting that particular yeast under pressure? Is it for eater reduction?
I am just using a recipe that I have done before. I did it with that yeast before I tried pressure fermenting.

Gotcha. I have not used that yeast so I can’t comment on it in particular. For me pressure fermenting with the same yeasts have resulted in being able to ferment higher with lower esters. I was able to get Windsor quite clean this way. Not sure how that particular one reacts.

Back