Pressure Fermentation and Carbonation

Brewer #416673

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize for being repetitive. I am trying out pressure fermentation (in a fermzilla 27L) for the first time and am doing a northern brewer amber ale extract kit, wanted to start with something relatively basic just in case I mess it up I'm not throwing a ton of money away. I'm about 48 hours in and things seem to going well. I set my spunding valve to 11 psi using US-05 yeast @ room temp (70ish degrees), which based on other forums seems to be a good spot.

My question is around carbonating. I know that CO2 is going to be absorbed back into the beer along the way which will give it some carbonation, however I'm not sure if it will get to 2.5 volumes like I'm shooting for. What would be the best approach to achieving 2.5 volumes at room temp? should I crank up the spunding valve once fermentation is complete to allow the residual CO2 to be absorbed back into the liquid and if so what PSI since I believe the fermzilla can go up to roughly 30 PSI. or would it be better to pressure transfer to the keg and set my co2 tank to a specific lvl. ill also add that even when I'm carbonating it will be at room temp. and i guess as a last resort the old fashioned way of using sugar is also an option.

I pressure ferment at roughly serving pressure, have found the the carbonation level comes out as expected that way

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize for being repetitive. I am trying out pressure fermentation (in a fermzilla 27L) for the first time and am doing a northern brewer amber ale extract kit, wanted to start with something relatively basic just in case I mess it up I'm not throwing a ton of money away. I'm about 48 hours in and things seem to going well. I set my spunding valve to 11 psi using US-05 yeast @ room temp (70ish degrees), which based on other forums seems to be a good spot.

My question is around carbonating. I know that CO2 is going to be absorbed back into the beer along the way which will give it some carbonation, however I'm not sure if it will get to 2.5 volumes like I'm shooting for. What would be the best approach to achieving 2.5 volumes at room temp? should I crank up the spunding valve once fermentation is complete to allow the residual CO2 to be absorbed back into the liquid and if so what PSI since I believe the fermzilla can go up to roughly 30 PSI. or would it be better to pressure transfer to the keg and set my co2 tank to a specific lvl. ill also add that even when I'm carbonating it will be at room temp. and i guess as a last resort the old fashioned way of using sugar is also an option.
That should be close, but when cooled to servjng temp it will lose some fizz. Since you have CO2, I would carbonate it as much as possible in the fermenter, and then finish it off if necessary once it gets cold if that is at all possible.

There is a carbonation chart somewhere on the site, and there are dozens more on the Internet, that will tell you what pressure at which temperature you'll need to get the volumes you're expecting.

Back