Pre & Post Boil Volumes

Pig Street

Trial Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the above to me in the recipe builder please? Is it the amount of water added to the mash (pre) and the the amount added for the sparge that should be entered in the boxes. I brew on a Grainfather 30L. Thank you.

Can someone please explain the above to me in the recipe builder please? Is it the amount of water added to the mash (pre) and the the amount added for the sparge that should be entered in the boxes. I brew on a Grainfather 30L. Thank you.
Pre-boil is the volume that you're targeting to start the boil. The post boil is calculated from that amount by the software based on your equipment profile (I believe they have preset profiles for electric all-in-ones). There's a separate spot for mash guidelines further down

Pre-boil is the volume that you're targeting to start the boil. The post boil is calculated from that amount by the software based on your equipment profile (I believe they have preset profiles for electric all-in-ones). There's a separate spot for mash guidelines further down

Thank you for that information, So I just add the mash and sparge volumes together?

Thank you for that information, So I just add the mash and sparge volumes together?
Yes but don't forget to factor in your loses from grain absorption. I do BIAB so I do full volume no-sparge mashes but I think the quick water requirements tool under recipe options would still be useful in your situation

Yes but don't forget to factor in your loses from grain absorption. I do BIAB so I do full volume no-sparge mashes but I think the quick water requirements tool under recipe options would still be useful in your situation

Brilliant, thank you.

Back