pre boil 1.052 post boil 1.056

Discussion in 'Brew Sessions' started by casa, Nov 15, 2013.

  1. casa

    casa New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2013
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    What's the deal only gained 4 pts after boiling off 2 gallons. Any ideas??? calculator say it should be more like 10 pts..
     
  2. LarryBrewer

    LarryBrewer Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    1,728
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Portland, Oregon
  3. casa

    casa New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2013
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Using a hydrometer and they reading were temperature correct.
     
  4. LarryBrewer

    LarryBrewer Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    1,728
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Portland, Oregon
    It comes down to a measurement error somewhere, either OG, FG, starting volume, or ending volume were not correct. Next brew session make sure to take detailed notes and double check volumes.

    The 'points' present in the kettle should be consistent during boil. The dilution calculator numbers should be very close to what you get in reality, unless you added sugar to the kettle during the boil, or topped off with water.
     
  5. McKnuckle

    McKnuckle Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    NW Bergen County, NJ
    [I realize this is an old post, but my reply may be helpful anyway...]

    I had a similar experience with my first 10 batches or so. I would hit my pre-boil gravity, be very pleased, and then miss my OG by a decent amount (too low). I used both a refractometer and a hydrometer on the sample. I measured and confirmed my boil-off rate, plugged numbers into all the online calculators, yet could not explain it.

    Turns out the pre-boil wort was not mixed thoroughly enough, and I was actually measuring too high a gravity. My OG was accurate, but my efficiency was not as good as I thought it was on the pre-boil. Now I stir the wort well for a couple of minutes before pulling a gravity sample and commencing the boil. I've also improved efficiency, but that's another story. Bottom line is that my pre-boil gravity measurements are now reliable.
     

Share This Page

arrow_white