PPG

ScooterBrews

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am trying to enter a grain from TexMalt into my inventory. It ask for the PPG (points per Pound per gallon) and evidently this does effect the gravity predictors when creating recipes. I have the fact sheet from my grains and it does not list PPG and going online I cannot find how to figure this out. here is the info from the fact sheet:
  • Moisture %: 4.3-4.5
  • Fine Extract Percentage: 79-81
  • Color: 1.9-2.2
  • DP 120-140
  • Total Protein: 10-11
  • Soluble Protein: 4.0-4.5
It is a unmilled Heritage 2-row malt

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.

I am trying to enter a grain from TexMalt into my inventory. It ask for the PPG (points per Pound per gallon) and evidently this does effect the gravity predictors when creating recipes. I have the fact sheet from my grains and it does not list PPG and going online I cannot find how to figure this out. here is the info from the fact sheet:
  • DP 120-140

The fine extract percentage is what to go off. That should be the maximum extract potential from a fine grind of the grain in a gallon of wort.

https://famouslastworts.com/2019/05/24/calculating-potential-extract-from-malt-coas/

Going off that article above using lets say fine extract potential of 80 then 46x.80= 36.8 PPG or 37 PPG :confused::p.

I'm no maths man;)

I just when and checked the Custom fermentables.

You can input your Fine Grind extract % in there and it will calculate the PPG for you
Screenshot_20230803_130414_Chrome.jpg

I suggest using the fine extract percentage and assume a certain potential extract yield. A common value used for 2-row malt is around 36-38 PPG. fnf

Is this any help?

https://homebrewacademy.com/brewhouse-efficiency-calculator/

I think the other method is make a gallon of wort from one pound of that grain and measure the gravity which they cite in the article. Good luck and welcome!
No need for an entire gallon. Look up 'Congress Mash' and go that route. You don't have to go through the trouble of a full Congress Mash process, but you can certainly use the same amounts/proportions. Of course, you'll need a refractometer to check the resulting gravity and then do math to scale up to 1#. Or, as noted by other replies, enter the Fine-ground extract% and let the calculator do the math. (note, the FG Extract is what the Congress Mash attempts to 'find out')

To determine the PPG (points per pound per gallon) of your TexMalt grain, the key figure you're looking for is the Fine Extract Percentage, which is given as 79-81%. This percentage typically represents the potential extract of the malt on a dry basis and is a primary factor in calculating PPG. To convert this percentage into PPG, you'd generally divide the percentage by 100 and multiply by 46 (the maximum potential extract of malt), resulting in a range. However, since your malt is unmilled, the efficiency might be slightly lower. It's always a good idea to conduct a small scale mash test to determine the actual extract efficiency you're getting from your specific batch and equipment. If you're still unsure, reaching out to TexMalt directly or consulting with fellow brewers who have used similar grains could provide you with more precise information. Happy brewing! FNAF

• DP 120-140

In his book, Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, his chart on page 31 lists the Extract Potential of 1 Lb. of Pale or Pilsener malts in 1 Gal of water as 1.035 -1.037. The variation is due to the variable growing and harvest conditions barley and other ingredients undergo.

Back