Poutine

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I grew up in northern NY, not particularly far from the Canadian border and at times visited and/or drove through Quebec and Ontario, but up until becoming an expat 20-something years ago, I had never heard of poutine.
Needless to say, I was a bit surprised a few years back as I started to hear about this "canadian as maple syrup" dish, called poutine...
...and, of course, I want to try it. :p
So, as of tomorrow, I will be traveling from Boston on a 2.5 week trip through New England and a couple of days just outside of Montreal, and was wondering if anyone has a tip on finding good traditional(?) poutine? Ideally, family friendly and with a craft beer or two on tap...;)

I grew up in northern NY, not particularly far from the Canadian border and at times visited and/or drove through Quebec and Ontario, but up until becoming an expat 20-something years ago, I had never heard of poutine.
Needless to say, I was a bit surprised a few years back as I started to hear about this "canadian as maple syrup" dish, called poutine...
So, as of tomorrow, I will be traveling from Boston on a 2.5 week trip through New England and a couple of days just outside of Montreal, and was wondering if anyone has a tip on finding good traditional(?) poutine? Ideally, family friendly and with a craft beer or two on tap...;)
Sorry, no. But in general, look for a dingy-looking bar that serves food. Or just ask at your hotel. Or even the (Canadian) border folks. I'm told Canadians are helpful and polite.

BA had a cool series of "X types of food in 24 hours" back in the day, dunno how relevant it is now that video is almost 5 year old. Nevertheless, some of those places probably still open so might be useful

Too damn hot down here for Poutine, but I did have some Jerk Chicken on a bed of fries last week. That was good:)

Good poutine is everywhere in Canada. Even the USA has quite a bit if you pay attention to menus, at least in bordering states. The best poutine I have had (and I've tried dozens stateside as well as in Canada) is in the Milwaukee Public Market at the grilled cheese place. The ideals met there: The fries are cut in house, leaving the peels on. Tons of delicious thick meaty gravy so you never run out, every fry is drenched in gravy. And plenty of melty curds on top so you can get some in every bite as well and never run out. Some places are all fries or all schtick (adding onions or meat or other crap). Real poutine is just fries, gravy, and cheese, nothing else. That's what to look for. Even McDonald's in Canada has an OK version of poutine except their fries break rule #1, no peels, too crispy. But not horrible either.

BA had a cool series of "X types of food in 24 hours" back in the day, dunno how relevant it is now that video is almost 5 year old. Nevertheless, some of those places probably still open so might be useful
thanks for the link
I will definitely keep a lookout for any if the better places while in Montreal. :)

So today in Pennsylvania at a diner we had "Disco Fries", french fries drenched in brown gravy with american cheese on top. Poor man's poutine.

While not actual poutine, it is close. These have been around the NY/NJ/PA area since, well, the disco era. So another possibility without as much travel North.

Bob Evans has a poutinish dish. Fries with brown gravy and shredded cheddar. Was not bad

I thought you were based in Germany?

You on a beercation.?
yup :)
2.5 weeks, round trip through New England, NE NY, Montreal and White Mts. Not quite as much beer as I would like, as we are travelling by 25' camper and I am the driver, but I always have a can or 2 in the fridge for at the campground once we've parked up for the evening.
Kinda hoping to find some Focal Banger along the way, but no luck so far...

It is probably really nice up there right now. Trialben, the beercation in the hills in the Eastern US would be Asheville. Tons of breweries up that way. Probably nothing like CA or OR, but still tons of breweries.

success!? didn't find any of the places I was looking for (either didn't walk past or were closed :( ), so just picked this up from the deli in the train station in Montreal. probably not the best quality (sneaking suspicion there were no curds, just cheese...), but the sauce grew on me pretty quick. :)
20230810_151422.jpg

Last edited:
success!? didn't find any of the places I was looking for (either didn't walk past or were closed :( ), so just picked this up from the deli in the train station in Montreal. probably not the best quality (sneaking suspicion there were no curds, just cheese...), but the sauce grew on me pretty quick. :)
View attachment 26259
I'd eat that.

The thing that many out of province folk don't realize about poutine is that you can't just use any type of cheese. If it doesn't have cheese curds, then it isn't poutine. It's not snobbery, it's because cheese curds is a special type of cheese with a particular texture and that is best as fresh as possible (usually same day).

In any case, as dmtaylor indicated, the simpler the better. You can go to the poutine tourist trap opened 24/7 called La Banquise by the parc Lafontaine if you want (to wait), but don't take the fancy ones with meat, bells and whistles.

Any of the La Belle Province will serve good ones.

I like the one at Décarie hot dogs.

But really, it's just fast food and it will be similar in most "old" places that have been serving it for decades... Just avoid McDonalds, other big chains or places that are trying to get in on the hype, especially if they are trying to serve "fancy" poutine.

The thing that many out of province folk don't realize about poutine is that you can't just use any type of cheese. If it doesn't have cheese curds, then it isn't poutine. It's not snobbery, it's because cheese curds is a special type of cheese with a particular texture and that is best as fresh as possible (usually same day).

In any case, as dmtaylor indicated, the simpler the better. You can go to the poutine tourist trap opened 24/7 called La Banquise by the parc Lafontaine if you want (to wait), but don't take the fancy ones with meat, bells and whistles.

Any of the La Belle Province will serve good ones.

I like the one at Décarie hot dogs.

But really, it's just fast food and it will be similar in most "old" places that have been serving it for decades... Just avoid McDonalds, other big chains or places that are trying to get in on the hype, especially if they are trying to serve "fancy" poutine.

If you do go to La Banquise, take it to go and walk over to Pub Pit Caribou for good beers. I was able to eat it there in the past, but that was a few years ago. Check first if they allow you to do so.

Cheese curds: they are indeed unique. At the proper temperature, about room temp., they actually squeak as you bite them.

If it doesn’t have cheese curds then they are disco fries, like in New Jersey

If it doesn’t have cheese curds then they are disco fries, like in New Jersey
Yup. Those get a slice (!) of American Pasteurized Process Cheese Food. White or yellow are optional...

Back