Post boil gravity = Pre-boil gravity

Simonpyman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I did a Vanilla porter this morning and my pre-boil gravity was 1.050 based on the hydrometer reading at room temp. Once the boil was done i took another reading and it was the same. My tilt is also reading the same as well.
What could have happened? Apart from a lower ABV i think I am ok. I was shooting for an estimated OG of 1.056 so not too far off.

Last edited:
How long did you boil?
Boiled uncovered?

Obviously the sugars that were there before boil are still there, but 1/2-1 gallon of water should be gone, making gravity higher. Unless you topped it up after boil.

How long did you boil?
Boiled uncovered?

Obviously the sugars that were there before boil are still there, but 1/2-1 gallon of water should be gone, making gravity higher. Unless you topped it up after boil.
Boiled for 75 minutes uncovered and did not add any water after boil.

I have had difference of 40 pts. Unboiled wort seems to settle out pretty fast. I always stir it before taking a reading
Good to know, I will make sure to stir in the future! For some reason i assumed that the wort unboiled or boiled would be uniform/well mixed . I did fill up the graduated cylinder using the pump/recirc arm for each measurement so i would have thought that not an issue

I would also vote for stirring.

There could also be a temperature difference if your unboiled wort was a different temp than your boiled when measuring.
But that wouldn't be such a big difference

So I did a Vanilla porter this morning and my pre-boil gravity was 1.050 based on the hydrometer reading at room temp. Once the boil was done i took another reading and it was the same. My tilt is also reading the same as well.
What could have happened? Apart from a lower ABV i think I am ok. I was shooting for an estimated OG of 1.056 so not too far off.

I would assume you only used your tilt for the post-boil/fermenter reading. If so that leaves a single point of failure for the pre-boil gravity reading. As others have mentioned, stir before taking your pre-boil gravity reading. But I think @Zambezi Special may be onto something. Do you adjust your hydrometer reading for temperature?

I would assume you only used your tilt for the post-boil/fermenter reading. If so that leaves a single point of failure for the pre-boil gravity reading. As others have mentioned, stir before taking your pre-boil gravity reading. But I think @Zambezi Special may be onto something. Do you adjust your hydrometer reading for temperature?
I didn’t adjust for temperature, which makes that the likely reason for the off reading

I didn’t adjust for temperature, which makes that the likely reason for the off reading
Really depends. Most hydrometer are calibrated @60F. Even 50F different is only a few pts.

With a refractometer, make zero difference. The 2drops cool instantly

I figure the temp reading may get you out by 5 gravity points or so, but the boil should have a bigger effect
Do you have your start and end volume for us?

I figure the temp reading may get you out by 5 gravity points or so, but the boil should have a bigger effect
Do you have your start and end volume for us?
Start volume was 7 gallons and end volume was ~ 6 gallons

You should have come out at 1.058
So most likely still a combination of things.
But it will be beer :)

Back