Post boil gravity different than OG

Backcrack

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that since the last update my post-boil gravity and my OG do not match. It seems as though the software is counting my kettle dead space loss as evaporation loss, thus giving a higher OG. Please fix this!

Change your batch size to “fermenter” if you are taking the SG going into the fermenter. The post boil OG is for the OG of the post-boil in the kettle (the volume is a little higher there).

Yooper
Post boil volume, and fermenter volume may be different, but how is it that gravity could change? Even if you only put half of your wort in the fermenter the gravity can't change...???

Yooper
Post boil volume, and fermenter volume may be different, but how is it that gravity could change? Even if you only put half of your wort in the fermenter the gravity can't change...???
Agreed: Gravity is non-dimensional. It doesn't change with volume. If it is changing based on volume, it's a bug.

The software did not have this issue before. For now I'm doing what Yooper suggested and using fermenter as the target. I just have to keep in mind that the volume is off by .5 gallon which is my kettle dead space.

Back