Possible to mill too small for BIAB?

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I had some come uncrushed so I used a rolling pin for a little of it and then I got lazy and used a nutri bullet. So 1/4 or my Maris otter is quite powdery.
Thanks

I guess it’s possible, if your grain is so floury that it goes through the bag and the husks are totally shredded. The idea would be tannin extraction for the shredded husks- But I haven’t heard that as a negative from anybody who has experienced this.

I‘ll give the bag a good shake before I put it in the water should help it then. Thanks!

I think you definitely can crush too fine for BIAB. Like @Yooper said, you will get a good portion of the “flour” seep through the bag, no matter what you do. While your extraction will likely go up, so will your kettle losses. Extra junk in the kettle isn’t a big deal of course, as long as you take that into consideration when planning your volumes. It took me a while to find my go-to crush for BIAB, but I have ended up with a happy middle ground of efficiency vis a vis kettle trub.

Some BIAB brewers will add actual flour, though I'm guessing it's dehusked prior to milling.

I don't think it matters how fine your husk is ground, the tannin extraction happens when you hit the right combination of pH and temperature. I think it's pH over 6 and a temp above the mid 70s (C). So that's hard to do in BIAB.

That said it's really easy to get dough balls with flour, so mix it well.

Some BIAB brewers will add actual flour, though I'm guessing it's dehusked prior to milling.

I don't think it matters how fine your husk is ground, the tannin extraction happens when you hit the right combination of pH and temperature. I think it's pH over 6 and a temp above the mid 70s (C). So that's hard to do in BIAB.

That said it's really easy to get dough balls with flour, so mix it well.
I gave the bag a good shake before putting in the water. I’m a stirrer so I’ll stay on that.

thanks for everyone’s reply’s. I need something to worry about each brew

So @Jnh, you add your grains into the bag and then submerge the grain filled bag?
I have always added the bag to the hot water, then poured the grains while stirring to break up any clumps. And I am big on stirring, too.
More than one way to skin a cat, I guess.

I usually do because I figured if the temp was too hot I’ve got time to wait but if I dunk then I don’t.

Hahaha. Cat has been skinned just started boil.

Only issue that I've had with milling too fine in my experience is scorching the flour on the bottom of the boil kettle. Trust me, you don't want that burnt flavor in your beer.

Happened in 3 of my beers and after 2 months, the flavor is still present in each one. My Dad said the hefe had a faint "coffee" flavor to it. I told him that grains were definitely "well roasted" during the process.

On my last non "all in one" brew, I reground the grains I purchased milled. My efficiency went up some but the "flour" impact also went up. It did not burn in the bottom during the boil I believe because of stirring. Whatever tactics you use to get to a good beer are solid tactics.

Back