Pomegranate molasses

Mark Farrall

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've got to bottle a breakfast stout tonight so the wife can brew her porter and I don't have enough glassware/kegs. I was thinking of putting some of the batch into another fermenter with Pomegranate molasses. Anyone use that and have any rough dosage rates? Or any concentrated fruit syrup would be similar I suppose.

I'm assuming I'll need to add more than just a bottle conditioning amount if I want the flavour to get through the breakfast stout.

If not I'll add a bit too much using taste, expecting the secondary fermentation will knock the flavour down a bit.

edit: and oops, wrong forum

Last edited:
I've got nothing useful to add other than to say Pomegranate Molases Breakfast Stout sounds like something I'd drop serious coin on. Please keep us posted if you follow through with this, but even if you don't, thanks anyway. :)

Okay, I'll bite, what is pomegranate molasses? I'm assuming it's flavored molasses.

Pomegranate juice boiled down to a molasses consistency, some with added sugar. Used a fair bit in middle eastern cooking. The tartness of pomegranate with some sweetness and complexity from the boiling process.

Edit: did a bit of a taste test. Going with 25 ml per litre. Hopefully the secondary fermentation only blows a small amount of the flavour away.

Last edited:
Interesting.... That was my second guess.

Packaged it a few days ago. 25 ml per litre is too much. Tastes more like a pomegranate spirit with a bit of chocolate and coffee. Here's hoping age calms it down. Next time I'll go with 15 ml per litre.

Also the secondary was very uneventful. It bubbled, but barely. I suspect there's very little fermentable sugars left once they've boiled it so long. So I think I'll just add it at packaging next time and if I'm bottling, bring the priming sugar down a touch.

And finally opened a bottle. It's weird which flavours do and don't get knocked about by bottle conditioning. This was way too strong at bottling and is now one of those very subtle flavours that you can tell has changed the beer, but wouldn't know what it was. This level works well for this beer, but if you wanted something with an obvious pomegranite molasses flavour definitely use more.

Back