Please move some Profile-Editor settings to Equipment Profiles

Mont Y. Märzen

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
There are 4 settings in the General section of a user Profile under the Recipe Editor Settings heading that really should be part of the Equipment Profiles. Those are:
  • Brewing Method
  • Batch Size Target
  • Default Batch Size
  • Default Boil Size
These preferences are dictated by the type and geometry of the equipment and it is quite possible to have more than one system. For example, I started out with and still have a 10gal Bayou Classic pot where I use the BIAB method, but I then obtained a couple of Keggles where I can brew larger batches with or without BIAB. When I select my equipment profile for my Keggle system, I have to change all of the above targets and the method to All-Grain. I also have to do several re-calculations for water requirements. (and my Keggle system has greater kettle losses, so I have to change Batch Size Target to Kettle from Fermenter for the efficiency calculations to make sense)

My buddies have a 10Gal no-sparge 2-vessel system, and a new 5gal UniBrau all-in-one. They use both regularly with the same issues in BF.

It would be very helpful to have those preferences moved to the Equipment Profiles and have them update in the Recipe Editor when that profile is selected for a new recipe. (and even better, have the option to scale from one Equipment Profile to the other.)

Thanks in advance for considering this change.

I have my profiles set up in the equipment profiles, like small batch, BIAB, all-grain, etc. They use the same equipment but are different in the boil off, the absorption, etc, That is one way to use all of your different techniques, and just load in one profile.

I have my profiles set up in the equipment profiles, like small batch, BIAB, all-grain, etc. They use the same equipment but are different in the boil off, the absorption, etc, That is one way to use all of your different techniques, and just load in one profile.
But the above specs I noted are for my entire user profile, regardless of my equipment, and that shouldn't be as they are equipment dependent. (at least with respect to the the last three, I suppose Method could stay in the user profile, but it would be nice if it were in the Equipment profile instead.)

I agree that the equipment profile as the location for these makes more sense for me, but I thought those user profile settings were to give the recipe calculator some sane defaults and simple editing options for those brewers who don't go to the level of setting up equipment.

But the above specs I noted are for my entire user profile, regardless of my equipment, and that shouldn't be as they are equipment dependent. (at least with respect to the the last three, I suppose Method could stay in the user profile, but it would be nice if it were in the Equipment profile instead.)

Yes, I set up the equipment profiles for each use. It's the same equipment usually, but since my mash thickness and absorption is different when I do BIAB vs traditional, or when I do a small batch I have more % boil off, so I have it in the equipment profiles to easily pick one.
upload_2021-8-5_11-38-42.png

Back