Platinum Jubilee Ale

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This year Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will have been our monarch for 70 years. From 1952 to 2022. I am going to make a Strong Bitter (5.2%) to toast her during celebrations later this spring - when it's ready to drink that is. I'm not going to wait for the Bank Holiday.
You are welcome to try it out - I think it will work. I'll drink it regardless - she won't know.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1253678/platinum-jubilee-ale

upload_2022-2-27_22-45-5.png

The medal in the middle has been struck to celebrate the occasion and will be handed out free to select members of the police, armed forces and members of the emergency services and others. I will NOT be getting one.
https://www.royal.uk/jubilee-medal-be-presented-token-nation’s-thanks

I haven't used Bramling Cross.
Anything specific you like about it, or could I sub in another English hop?

I haven't used Bramling Cross.
Anything specific you like about it, or could I sub in another English hop?
Hi Brian,

No I just fancied using that one for this brew. It has blackcurrant notes to it so I thought I'd see how it turns out. It is a dual purpose hop and can be used almost anywhere you need a deep fruity flavour and it has an AA of about 6. I have used it before and the beers turned out very well - my best one to date is Yankee Pankee (and I plan to make another batch of that next week).
The info here is you can substitute a Goldings for it and I am sure that would work. I have not got the experience to be able to focus in on specific hops yet - still a learner - though hops like Citra and Mosaic obviously stand out. I couldn't tell between other similar hops for instance - not yet anyway.

My reference data is here: https://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/bramling-cross/

This year Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will have been our monarch for 70 years. From 1952 to 2022. I am going to make a Strong Bitter (5.2%) to toast her during celebrations later this spring - when it's ready to drink that is. I'm not going to wait for the Bank Holiday.
You are welcome to try it out - I think it will work. I'll drink it regardless - she won't know.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1253678/platinum-jubilee-ale

View attachment 19563

The medal in the middle has been struck to celebrate the occasion and will be handed out free to select members of the police, armed forces and members of the emergency services and others. I will NOT be getting one.
https://www.royal.uk/jubilee-medal-be-presented-token-nation’s-thanks
Hey Al,
Looking at the recipe and noticed that you are@ 63% efficiency.
What are you using for a mash tun and how are you sparging?

Hey Al,
Looking at the recipe and noticed that you are@ 63% efficiency.
What are you using for a mash tun and how are you sparging?
Hi Brian,

I use a home made insulated 35Qt fermenting bucket that gets wrapped in a blanket during the mash.

upload_2022-3-4_13-42-4.png

It can maintain temperature to within 1 degree C over the hour so it is reliant on me hitting the initial temp of 67C to start with and I am getting pretty good at that,
I Lauter using a pump which works pretty well too as long as I have enough rice hulls in to avoid a stuck transfer. I am looking to build a bigger mash tun when I find a cheap enough 60L bucket.
I usually heat up enough water for the sparge during the initial mash time and this sparge water I transfer into a pressure barrel that is hoisted onto the top shelf of my gravity tower
upload_2022-3-4_13-55-9.png
upload_2022-3-4_13-59-33.png

There are more shelves on this now as it was built a while ago now but it works like this when all set up and my home made sparge arm is used.
upload_2022-3-4_14-1-3.png

As for the 63% efficiency, I haven't really played about with that yet but now I have a fair bit of data I can look into seeing what my actual percentage is - if I can, indeed, change it.

That's quite a setup Al! Love the build!
My thought is that you'd get higher efficiency.
I wonder how your grain crush is? You may want to look into that.
Also, I've been running MO through the mill twice as about a year ago my efficiency tanked when using it.
Certainly something to consider if you're doing mainly English style beers.
Cheer,
Brian

That's quite a setup Al! Love the build!
My thought is that you'd get higher efficiency.
I wonder how your grain crush is? You may want to look into that.
Also, I've been running MO through the mill twice as about a year ago my efficiency tanked when using it.
Certainly something to consider if you're doing mainly English style beers.
Cheer,
Brian

Hi Brian, I buy my grains already crushed so there is not much I can do about that - not about to get a mill anytime soon.
I can maybe extend my mash and slow the sparge rate but I dont want to change too much of my routine if I can help it. There are so many ways to go wrong.

Hi Al,
It sounds like you're doing a fine job and wouldn't change it if it's working for you and you're happy with the results.
I was mainly curious because with very similar processes, many are getting upper 70s to even 80%.
The entire difference in your size batch is likely under 2 pounds, so I'd likely just go with it.
Cheers!
Brian

Hi Brian, I buy my grains already crushed so there is not much I can do about that - not about to get a mill anytime soon.
I can maybe extend my mash and slow the sparge rate but I dont want to change too much of my routine if I can help it. There are so many ways to go wrong.
That is a good outlook Alan, it doesn't really matter what your efficiency is, just that you know what it is, and it is consistent!

Back