Pitching Dead Yeast

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewing a Whitbread Ale Likeness, the Wyeast 1099 packet they had at the FLHBS had a packing date of 29 June 2020. The packet says 'best used within 6 months of packing', bought it anyway because it was the only one they had.

Smacked it and this is what it looked like after 2-1/2 hours... not at all swollen. Opened it and pitched it, was darker brown and smelled like white wine. Ugh. Still a bit early to tell, but it may be that the entire packet was dead.

I have some S04 I can pitch to save the batch for the most part, but if the packet was really and truly completely dead (Hopeful some yeasties survived so it becomes a major underpitch) will it add significant off-flavors to the finished beer?

In other words, should I just dump it now, or add the S04. (I will wait 2 full days for signs of any fermentation first).

As usual, the photo from my phone displays sideways. @Yooper does the forum automatically reorient photos to landscape?

08255BBA-580A-4BCF-89DB-98FB8145B354.jpeg

I would imagine that different brewers will have had different experiences in this situation.

The only time I had a WY smack pack remain perfectly flat (4-1/2 hours after smacking, no swelling at all), I decided to pitch it anyway. I let it go 54 hours but unfortunately it was DOA. I salvaged that beer by pitching US-05 at 54 hours and it took off as is its nature. The beer came out fine, if unremarkable. I didn't notice any dead yeast flavor.

I agree. Give it a couple of days. Since you’re in a sanitized vessel, there should not be a problem if the yeast are dead. US-04 will work well.

Perfect, completely agrees with my thoughts. The little bits of infection possibility were small, so wait I shall, and then S04 to the rescue if needed.

I think it's totally irresponsible for brew supply stores to sell yeast that's 9 months old. They know it's not viable. It looses around 20% of it's viable yeast cells per month. The only thing you can do with a pack of liquid that's more than 3 months old is to make a starter, even for an ale pitch. If it's 6 months old, you might be able to make a 2-stage starter and get a good pitch.

I think it's totally irresponsible for brew supply stores to sell yeast that's 9 months old. They know it's not viable. It looses around 20% of it's viable yeast cells per month. The only thing you can do with a pack of liquid that's more than 3 months old is to make a starter, even for an ale pitch. If it's 6 months old, you might be able to make a 2-stage starter and get a good pitch.
I definitely agree that no LHBS should take money for liquid yeast that is that far past its "Best Buy" date. But I have used WY smack packs that all yeast calculators told me contained zero viable cells left that blew up and fermented just fine.

Reactions: J A
I just consider it the price of my education, $7.99. I guess I can go back to them and whine about it, since I spent low four figures at their store last year, but instead I'll just keep it as a lesson learned. Next time I'll be more assertive.

The best way to pitch dead yeast is into the bin!

If the yeast cells died badly they could rupture and spill out their salty/umami tasting contents. It doesn't sound like it from your description, so maybe they're just providing nutrient to the remaining yeast.

I built a starter off a jar of yeast a year old in my fridge the other day and it worked fine. I'd let it sit and see if it comes back, as you said worst case you have S-04 to back you up.

The rest of the story: After 24 hours, there was nothing, not even a peep, from the WY 1099 yeast. I popped the cover and added a pack of rehydrated S04. After a 12 hour lag, the yeasties went nuts in what was essentially a 20 liter starter and brought it down to 1.008 (from 1.036) in about 36 hours. It's sitting at 1.008 for 3 days now, likely to cold crash it tonight and keg it Thursday... a 7-day brew.

A Whitbread likeness was the goal, the S04 shouldn't do it too badly though.

Would it be a kindness or an insult to bring my troubles with yeast to the attention of the FLHBS? I'm not looking for a refund, but perhaps a process change, so some other less-gracious customer doesn't suffer a similar fate? I know that if I were the owner I'd want to be told, but maybe I'm out of touch?

If you know them reasonably well I'd just call or message them that it was NFG and they may want to have a huge disclaimer on them going forward.

I'll visit them - only 20 minutes away, and the "F" is for Friendly - and mention it next time I'm there. I need some gas tubing for a pressure-bottling contraption a friend loaned me, going to try it out filling my bottles for the NHC. Plan B is the 'old' way, a piece of tubing on the end of the picnic tap, which loses a little in foam, but no problem.

The best way to pitch dead yeast is into the bin!
Or into the boil and use em as nutrient for the next lot - lesson be learned yeasties or I'll boil your carcasses-!:eek:

@Donoroto I'd for sure bring it up in my next conversation with them (in a friendly way) nothing worse than getting people on the back foot if your trying to provide criticism:).

Or into the boil and use em as nutrient for the next lot - lesson be learned yeasties or I'll boil your carcasses-!:eek:
Yes! Old yeast should be added to the boil only. They're good for nutrients and that's about all. I got burnt a few years back and now I check the date of yeast prior to buying. Dry yeast isn't so bad, but liquid yeast can go bad from time or poor handling practices.

Back