Pineapple and carbonation problems

Smilin Brewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I brewed a plain light wheat beer and split it in to two 5 gallon corny kegs. I added 3 cups of fresh pineapple juice ( boiled for 10 minutes) to one of the kegs. I set both kegs at 14 psi. The keg with out the pineapple was carbonated in 7 days. At 14 days I turned the pressure up to 20 psi on the pineapple keg. It was been 7 days now and I'm seeing a little bit of carbonation. Has anyone had something like this happen? Should I go to 30 or 40 psi??

I'm more curious about the taste the pineapple brings. That's a lazy brewer's kind of fruit - I can get it pre-pasteurized - in cans, no additives, it its own juice!

I checked for leaks it seems to be holding fine. I pushed the pressure to 30 psi and I'll see what happens. I will let you known how it tastes if I ever get it carbonated.

I know stuff with sugar takes more to get carbonated, I was reading about doing a lemonade in a soda keg they say to carbonate the water then add a simple lemonade syrup after

so I am think it maybe the sugar

just my thoughts

S_M

Here is a picture with the pineapple on the right it has been at 30 psi for 24 hours after being at 20 psi for 1 week after being at 14 psi for a week. The left is the same wheat beer at 14 psi

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,450
Could be something is interfering with head retention, but jeeze this is starting to sound like a case for Sherlock Holmes. Must eliminate all the variables. Are the taps or lines different?

How full is the keg? How cold?
Cold beer accepts co2 a lot better than warm or room temperature.
I've noticed that is I have an over full keg that the carbonation takes longer.
Pull a couple pints and see if that changes anything.
Also, if you need to get it carbed up quicker, pull the keg, lay it horizontally with the gas side post down so it's under the beer, set the pressure to 15psi and then "Rock the Baby" for about 5 minutes.

Brian

Is it possible that the Bromelain in the pineapple is impacting the head retention and/or carbonation? And is the beer absolutely not carbonated, or simply not developing head? Anyway, I know that pineapple has a lot of Bromelain, which is a digestive enzyme that will break down proteins (like Z and LTP1, referenced in the article below from this site on 12/19/09). Is it possible that the pineapple enzymes are simply breaking up those proteins and killing your head retention?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/12/19 ... retention/

Thanks for all of the information. It is helpful. I keep the refrigerator at about 40 degrees but it is old and fluctuates and the keg is full with 3 or 4 inches of space at the top. The enzyme in pineapple is interesting I will look into that some more. I will have to come up with some kind of fix. I can't throw beer away.

Found a paper on the Internet on Bromelain: It denatures in five minutes at 70° C. I don't know what that would do to the flavor of the pineapple but my SWAMBO's pineapple upside down cake is pretty good.... Anyone up for trying that?

Nosybear said:
Found a paper on the Internet on Bromelain: It denatures in five minutes at 70° C. I don't know what that would do to the flavor of the pineapple but my SWAMBO's pineapple upside down cake is pretty good.... Anyone up for trying that?

SWAMBO?

She Who Always Must Be Obeyed?

You got it! Besides, it makes the acronym pronounceable.

Back