Picnic Tap Failure!

Jaystrat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Filled my keg, force carbed it, had a taste from it the next night and wanted to wait one more day to bottle it for a contest I wanted to enter today. I decided to use a picnic tap since I had not purchased a bottle filler adapter for my taps on my keezer and I set the tap down carefully after pouring a taste for the wife and I. I went back out Thursday evening and found the tap in the open position with my entire keg drained into the bottom of my keezer. Shock and horror for me but I wondered if none else has had the picnic handle fail like this. I can’t brew this weekend but I can’t wait for redemption! Cheers!

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Filled my keg, force carbed it, had a taste from it the next night and wanted to wait one more day to bottle it for a contest I wanted to enter today. I decided to use a picnic tap since I had not purchased a bottle filler adapter for my taps on my keezer and I set the tap down carefully after pouring a taste for the wife and I. I went back out Thursday evening and found the tap in the open position with my entire keg drained into the bottom of my keezer. Shock and horror for me but I wondered if none else has had the picnic handle fail like this. I can’t brew this weekend but I can’t wait for redemption! Cheers!
I've never drained a whole keg! BUT - I have had a small drip from a faucet tap more than once and have lost several pints over the last 3 years... :( Very annoying! - Luckily I go into the basement daily so I've only ever had it happen over night. I try very hard to ensure everything is closed up right after a pour.

Bloody Nora :eek:. N.a. can't say I have mate but man I feel your pain!
I've had a picnic tap that was Dodgey at the join so I disconnect before finishing up on the drink.

Sorry buddy, but I think that was user error. I've never seen it happen on its own, I have flipped them accidentally and lost a small amount.

However, entertaining the possibility. The only way I can think of it being possible is if you WAY over carbonated the keg or had your pushing pressure up WAY too high. So, what did you carb at and for how long and what were you pushing at when you and the wife tried it?

When I force carbed I had the the pressure at 28 lbs. Put it in the keezer at 10 pounds, checked it an hour later and it was foamy but pourable. This was Tuesday night. Wednesday night wanted to taste and check carbonation, still pouring big head so turned pressure down to 7 lbs. Decided to bottle Thursday night for contest and carefully laid tap down with nothing coming out. You are probably right about user error. I will move past and will buy the $10 adapter I need! Too bad about the contest though because that was the best IPA ever brewed!

When I force carbed I had the the pressure at 28 lbs. Put it in the keezer at 10 pounds, checked it an hour later and it was foamy but pourable. This was Tuesday night. Wednesday night wanted to taste and check carbonation, still pouring big head so turned pressure down to 7 lbs. Decided to bottle Thursday night for contest and carefully laid tap down with nothing coming out. You are probably right about user error. I will move past and will buy the $10 adapter I need! Too bad about the contest though because that was the best IPA ever brewed!

Sounds like you did everything right. Sucks. Sorry.

Sounds bizarre that a picnic tap would flip open on its own. Sucks big binochies to lose a whole batch, especially a potentially award winning batch! Hope you luck improves.

I have had them leak and I never trust them enough to leave them connected.

That really sucks though, not only did you lose the beer, but you had to clean up the mess. Damn it to hell.

I was kind of pouring it on about award winning! It had a great Mosaic hoppy nose, was very clear, nice white head but flavor profile was not what it should have been. Contest was to brew a clone of Beachwood Amalgamator IPA. This would have been my first submission to be judged, was lookin forward to feedback. As naDinmn wrote, I made the mistake, not my first since I’ve been brewing. Moving on.

Brew, learn, repeat!
Good luck with future brews!

Aww, damn. But I have had a picnic tap leak - the top wasn't screwed down tight - snd I has half a gallon leak into the fridge.

On the bright side, yeah, the fridge got a good cleaning...

Back