PH really low?

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday Admins and all who know water calculations more than me what the heck is going on with this water profile as in why is the Predicted PH 5.06 :confused:.
Recipie
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1297191/munich-lager

I've pretty much got base malts with 100g of chocolate malt.
Ok so the roasted malts are supposed to drop the mash ph but by this much.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=76J02T3

So Normaly a grist like this with my water I'll have to add a smide of phsophoric acid 96% like 1ml

Anyhow
@Yooper
@Pricelessbrewing
Or any of the Forum
If you would like to share your brewing wisdom please:)

No one have any ideas about this PH anomaly or not anomaly I can't make heads nor tails of it.

Ok so it's the minscule 100g eclipse wheat addition really??
I'm not buying it wow!

Screen shot below = selecting the eclipse wheat as a late addition. (Same as discarding it from the mash ph wise).
Screenshot_20220808-192046_Samsung Internet.jpg
Now with it added at start of mash
Screenshot_20220808-192055_Samsung Internet.jpg

So that's what .6 PH drop from 100g of Eclipse wheat this must be what was pushing my beefed up mild way down on the recipe prediction as I used 400g in that lol.

Ok so I'm gunna opt for my gut feeling being the expected ph drop from 100g of wheat not affecting the Mash PH to drop it that low and add some phosphoric Acid like I'm expecting to do as per most lager grists...

Man I think I need to get a new probe for my PH meter. I've had two unbelievable PH predictions in the last 3 brews...

Seems odd, I'd almost try another build and see if it reacts the same.

Screenshot_20220808-062552.png

Just a quick mock up on my end returned a .03 difference in mash pH when changed to a late addition.
Something is up with your build, I'd just try it again

Yeah maybe something to do with the specks on the eclipse wheat here's a screenshot of a mock up
View attachment 21755
Weird
That sounds most likely. Especially since your screen shot shows a Diastatic Power of 70. That can't be right.

That sounds most likely. Especially since your screen shot shows a Diastatic Power of 70. That can't be right.
Hey the Munich malt has a DP of 70 I see after looking again.

Is it a possibility that someone's loaded the specs for this craft maltster in wrong then?

Great catch Megary!

Usually lower, I believe. I’d say 40-50, just enough to convert itself.
Ok so 70 is about right
Hmmm Voyager is the maltster.

I'll find then malt spec sheat later and cross reference.
Edit Ok saw link 0 dp makes sence since kilned so high I suppose.

But yeah using roasted grains you usually have to use a bit to push the mash PH below 5 right?

Not 100g or 3.5 Oz

Last edited:

Back