Peated Stout

SwishBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Brewers

Hope to have my fermenters empty by Thursday and brew Friday curious does anyone have any thoughts on this bad boy.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/429599/for-peat-s-sake

Done as much reading about Peat Malt as I possibly can and decided that 115gm, was going to be noticeable but not take over. Looking for a nice strong roasty/coffee/chocolate flavour with underlying peat and bitterness to support. No hop flavour or aroma. I am hoping between the mid to high teen FG and the Denny's Fav yeast, which I have heard gives a nice mouthfeel, that the beer will be just creamy enough without being over the top.

I plan to bottle condition this guy for at least or month or 2, Planning a mid-winter party and want to have something hearty for patrons and also my Wife love Scotch and asked for a Peated beer.

Cheers

Be prepared some people really hate the taste of peated malt. I made a Northwest Scottish ale for a local comp using <1% heavy peated malt and it won Worst in Show. Comments were "way too much peated aroma and taste." I thought it was fine.

I tried with 2,7% in a stout but it was to much even if i like peated taste
I think your percentage is ok , you can try in this way and eventually change next time
However peated malt needs a long conditioning time

Be prepared some people really hate the taste of peated malt. I made a Northwest Scottish ale for a local comp using <1% heavy peated malt and it won Worst in Show. Comments were "way too much peated aroma and taste." I thought it was fine.
I can only smile.

Shit, that's pretty harsh giving out worst in show. I am not a big scotch fan but my wife drinks the stuff neat so at least she will like it. I think after I few months I will be able to drink it. I have the 330ml bottles ready cause I do expect a lot of people will not finish their bottle.

I've never heard anything good come of peated malt in beer. Even the Scots don't use it in theirs! But hey, it's a test, go with it. Worst thing that can happen is you've invented a new drain cleaner. I would try a smaller batch, at least as a test, if the cost of the ingredents is a factor.

Maybe cap the mash with it late to keep the harsh bite at a minimum?
edit: on another note I prefer a single malt highland scotch

Even the Scots don't use it in theirs!.
I agree with you , if you are brewing a Scottish ale style prated is out of style.
I've never heard anything good come of peated malt in beer.
I don't agree mate , maybe you are going to waste much time studying peated malt but if you find the right combination, prated can add richness and complexity to your beer..
I've never heard harshness in peated , if anything someone without experience could exchange as smoked but it's really different taste
However these are my opinions cheers

edit: on another note I prefer a single malt highland scotch

Wouldn't I run into problems with starch conversion if I did this?

I have decided to dial it back, you guys beat me down :p
I thought about a small batch, but have only ever done 20litres or around that, I don't like the idea of having to do more work with the yeast

Sidenote: just bottled my Red Rye and sat down to enjoy a Karma Citra from Feral. Call me crazy but do I pick up a hint of Peat in there?!
I have never noticed it before but had never really thought too much about peat in beer before starting on this recipe. It's probably in my head, maybe some fellow Aussie/Nz brewers can chime in and let me
know if I am in fact crazy!

Back