partial to AG

Arbe0

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a conversion chart , or some way of knowing how to convert a partial to an All grin recipe?
for example using a German Hefeweizen recipe
1 LB. crystal 10L
6 LB. Wheat LME
1 oz. Hellertau (60 min)

how do you know how much Grain and what kind to use to replace the Wheat LME to make the same beer?

This sort of thing is best left up to the judgement of the brewer. All Grain opens up so many flavor possibilities.

Normally as a base malt, go with 2-row (pale), Pilsner or Marris Otter depending on the style of beer.

For a wheat beer, I'd go 50/50 pils and wheat malt. 100% wheat beers can be brewed, but I think 50% of the grain bill is the recommendation. Also, with wheat malt, a stuck sparge is a higher possibility because the wheat malt gets really gooey in the mash tun. Add 8oz of Rice Hulls to help mitigate that issue.

I'd also sub in CaraHell or Vienna over the Crystal10.

found this on the Internet somewhere, don't hold me to it lol

ALL-GRAIN TO EXTRACT
Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. liquid malt extract)
Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. dry malt extract)
Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)

EXTRACT TO ALL-GRAIN
Amount of liquid malt extract x 1.23 - amount of pale malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. liquid malt extract x 1.23 = 8.1 lbs. pale malt)
Amount of dry malt extract x 1.45 - amount of pale malt
(example: 5 lbs. dry malt extract x 1.45 = 7.25 lbs. pale malt)
Amount of liquid wheat extract x 1.07 - amount of wheat malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. wheat extract x 1.07 = 7 lbs. wheat malt)

Then there's math. LME has 36 PPG (point pounds per gallon, meaning one pound of LME dissolved in 1 gal water will yield a 1.034-1.038 wort). Grain has about 37 PPG but you never get 100% of it, most likely around 70%. We can ignore the one point difference, so divide your LME by 0.7 (or whatever you expect your conversion efficiency to be) and that should give you the approximate amount of base malt you need to replace it.

Better - use the recipe software with the above guidelines to home in on exact figures.

As to the recipe, Hefeweizen is generally around 60% wheat, 40% Pilsner. If I were going to add a character malt I'd go with 2 Oz Melanoidin in the mash to simulate decoction. Hallertau is about right - Hersbrueck is just north of Munich so likely would have been the major hop source, although you could use the more earthy, spicy Saaz to offset some of the sweetness. I did the Melanoidin thing in my Koelleweizen - Koelsch fermented with Hefeweizen yeast - and 4 Oz was too much - gave me too much malt flavor. But Vienna might work, or Munich.... Brewer's choice on this one.

That, and providing me a taste of that ham glaze beer! Stay audacious, my friend, after all, ham glaze consists of powdered honey....

Back