Partial Boil with All Grain (May not be what you think)

cearum

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to save myself from brewing outside during the winter (I'm lazy and no garage). I was thinking of making a light ale, around 2.5%. I figure I don't need to boil all the water at once so then I can use my stove. I could mash with half the water and get a stronger wort, then dilute with water in the fermenter. The end result should be around O.G. 1.029 but the half size says around ~1.06X. Does anyone else see a flaw in my logic/reasoning?

You might be thinking, just do an extract boil, well I have all these grains so it would essentially cost me just the yeast and hops. Which I might already have the hops, so just the yeast.

Certainly not a traditional method buy hey, necessity is the mother of invention and in the end you still have beer :D

Use good quality water to top off with.

2.5% ABV is pretty low, so be extra careful with sanitization during racking / packaging.

cearum said:
I'm looking to save myself from brewing outside during the winter (I'm lazy and no garage). I was thinking of making a light ale, around 2.5%. I figure I don't need to boil all the water at once so then I can use my stove. I could mash with half the water and get a stronger wort, then dilute with water in the fermenter.

I do very big partial mashes in a 5 Gal cooler then partial boils (3.5 - 4 gal) on the kitchen stove. Works fine! A 2.5 ABV ale seems very weak - even a Colorado supermarket beer is 3.2! I've mashed up to 9# of grain in my tricked-out Igloo, augmented with malt extract (my homebrew shop goes through it very quickly) and gotten upwards of 8% beers. My next brew will be a Grodziskie at around 3.8% ABV and It'll be an all-grain batch. Or you could add some sugars and get a light-bodied ale of fairly high ABV. The partial boil method works well. I, too, am waiting for more warmth before using the banjo cooker outside but while I wait, the partial method produces some really good (as in award-winning) beers.

Back