Pale ale for first BIAB?

A bigger kettle makes it easier, but it is possible to use a smallish kettle.
I started out making 6 ltr batches, using a 9 or 10 litre pot
I now make 10 litre batches using the same pot.
Reason for not changing pot size is that this one fits nicely in my (duvet lined) cooler box for the mash
I've done 4 gallons in a 7 gallon kettle a few times successfully. The overflow I had was doing a porter. But the first 3-4 BIAB I did before getting my current kettle I wanted to do 5 gallons but didn't have the capacity so I'd do 4 gallons and then top it off with clean water extract style. Probably not ideal but it worked. If you want to do BIAB with the equipment you have you can always figure out a way to make it work.

I've done 4 gallons in a 7 gallon kettle a few times successfully. The overflow I had was doing a porter. But the first 3-4 BIAB I did before getting my current kettle I wanted to do 5 gallons but didn't have the capacity so I'd do 4 gallons and then top it off with clean water extract style. Probably not ideal but it worked. If you want to do BIAB with the equipment you have you can always figure out a way to make it work.
I top up all the time. Becaues 5gal after boil it's not 5 gal anymore

Keep you bag off the bottom of the kettle when the burner is on.

I biab :)
After mash, pull out the bag, drain, rinse etc till pan is almost full again.
Top up with hot water during boil, or cold (boiled) water at cooling
Like Steve says, there are ways and means to make things work :)

Hi, I recently switched to biab and can reiterate what most have said..
- get your crush really fine so you raise efficiency (as clearly the stuck mash disadvantage is void)
- bag in first and add the grain gradually to ensure it’s all stirred in
- keep the bag off the bottom especially if raising the temp for steps etc
- if you keep a CLOSE eye on the process you can have the volume close to the max capacity
- watch as many David Heath YouTube videos as possible on the subject.

I start with 8 gallons of water for the BIAB. I would be overflowing at the very beginning:(
I am the same ten gallon and at least 8-1/4 gallons of water for mash. No boil over here but fill the vessel full to the top for mash.
I would suggest doing a SMASH beer for your first time.

Hey all! I’m looking for a nice crisp/light pale ale to try out BIAB for the first time. Any recommendations? Also any tips for a first go at BIAB would be welcome! I’ve done a few extract brews now, but want to get into BIAB to control more of the flavor. TIA!

Add more malt than you think till you figure out your efficiency. It's way more satisfying to end up with a stronger beer than one that tastes watered down.

I started with 50/50 wheat/barley beers on the advice of a BIAB veteran. The cool thing about them is they're not reliant on hops so super cheap and you don't need to worry about malt/hop balance like you do with a Pale Ale. This means you can hone in on your BIAB process without your GU:BU (gravity:bittering) ratio being thrown off by unexpected SG

Also, if you're making your own bag make sure you make it narrow enough (I made that mistake). When you lift it out they bulge and it's easy to spill stuff over the side.

Happy brewing, and welcome of the world of even cheaper/better homebrew!

Back