P.E.T Bottles

BiggHaus

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used thees kind of bottles any good or bad? or an opinion?

normal PET bottles don't block O2 enough to be ok for beer storage. But they do work for short term storage. Once thing you can do with them when you bottle condition is to bottle one or two of them. You can then tell by the firmness of the bottle how the beer carbonation process is coming along.

Kai

Glass is the best, but I use a few plastic bottles with each batch for one reason. I like to take some beer to the lake or the beach- and no glass bottles are allowed. I keep them in a dark place and don't count on them for long term storage.

grim322 said:
I like to take some beer to the lake or the beach- and no glass bottles are allowed.
I am faced with a similar issue. My climbing buddies and I generally take along a couple bottle for a relaxing brew or two after the day's climbing is done, and a few bottles of my home-brew are always welcome.
Besides the obvious problem of glass being heavy and rather fragile (the results of accidentally dropping a plastic bottle 2/3rds of the way up a 30m cliff were bad enough... :oops: ), I bottle condition all of my brews and am not all that keen on stirring up all of the yeast that has so nicely settled to bottom of the bottles.
So, I have come up with an idea.... Not sure if it will work, but I am going to try it out anyway.
I am going to try carefully transferring a fully conditioned bottle from glass to plastic, leaving the settled yeast behind. Some carbonation will of course be lost during the transfer, so I will then add a very small amount of sugar to the plastic bottle (~1/3rd of what I use during conditioning), close it tightly, and wait a week. If all works as I hope, the beer will recarbonate and the yeast that settles out from the second "mini" carbonation will be a much smaller amount than from the primary carbonation.
Should be interesting.....

sbaclimber said:
grim322 said:
I like to take some beer to the lake or the beach- and no glass bottles are allowed.
I am faced with a similar issue. My climbing buddies and I generally take along a couple bottle for a relaxing brew or two after the day's climbing is done, and a few bottles of my home-brew are always welcome.
Besides the obvious problem of glass being heavy and rather fragile (the results of accidentally dropping a plastic bottle 2/3rds of the way up a 30m cliff were bad enough... :oops: ), I bottle condition all of my brews and am not all that keen on stirring up all of the yeast that has so nicely settled to bottom of the bottles.
So, I have come up with an idea.... Not sure if it will work, but I am going to try it out anyway.
I am going to try carefully transferring a fully conditioned bottle from glass to plastic, leaving the settled yeast behind. Some carbonation will of course be lost during the transfer, so I will then add a very small amount of sugar to the plastic bottle (~1/3rd of what I use during conditioning), close it tightly, and wait a week. If all works as I hope, the beer will recarbonate and the yeast that settles out from the second "mini" carbonation will be a much smaller amount than from the primary carbonation.

My only suggestion would be to transfer the beer as cold as possible to a bottle that is also cold.

chessking said:
sbaclimber said:
grim322 said:

My only suggestion would be to transfer the beer as cold as possible to a bottle that is also cold.
VERY good advice!
...which I unfortunately didn't think of before trying my first transfer yesterday evening. :oops:
Yes, the foaming was rather intense, so I added a bit extra suger to hopefully make up for the lost CO2.

Back