oxygenating a starter

I used dried yeast recently and took 24 hrs to kick in vs vitality 24hr RWS of saved yeast I'm gunna brew with under easily 12hrs larger and ale yeast

Bottom line find what works best for you in your brewery never be scared to try something new but I'll stick with the stir bar to keep things agetated.

I used dried yeast recently and took 24 hrs to kick in vs vitality 24hr RWS of saved yeast I'm gunna brew with under easily 12hrs larger and ale yeast

Bottom line find what works best for you in your brewery never be scared to try something new but I'll stick with the stir bar to keep things agetated.
Amen to that.

Just an amusing side note to the shaken v stirred debate: I oxygenated my starter wort in a 1 gallon jug. Pitched 2 packs of yeast and plugged it with a foam stopper. Gave it a good swirl every now and then. After about 12 hours there was some activity, but not alot - no krauesen, but definitely more yeast on the bottom. I gave it a shake and it released enough CO2 to pop the stopper and hit the ceiling!

interesting... crazy to me how much can go into something that seems so simple. I read up a bit on yeast starters and oxygen a while ago before I saw this, but my budget right now is too tight, so no stir plate for me, but I happened to have a micro air pump and some silicon tubing. So I went ahead and beaner rigged the thing to pump air into my yeast starter so it bubbles with the hope that it would stir and bring in oxygen at the same time... maybe a bad idea, who knows what else I'm pumping into there from the airo_O

I've thought about just throwing a small aquarium pump in there too... just some ideas

Last edited:

Back