Oxygen absorbing caps

NorthWest Small Batch Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
is it me or is this a huge fake marketing scam? I got some because if it were true it could be cool. But ... the caps looked the same as any other cap. Directions say they activate when wet. So annoying you have to dip each one in star san just before you seal the bottle. And like I said I don't see anything visible that looks like a coating. I am suspecting this is all bogus to charge more for the caps lol. ?!? Here is an example -- maybe they mean the little plastic bit they put in the cap is supposed to somehow absorb oxygen. ....

https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Crown-Caps-Oxygen-Absorbing-Homebrew-144/dp/B00ZSEH8QM

They don't do much. If you bottle condition, they're unnecessary: The yeast scavenge the oxygen from the headspace. If you're bottling off the keg, cap-on-foam. For them to do what they say they do, you have to wet them just before putting them on the bottle; otherwise, they won't work.

It’s the only caps I can find. I’m not sure they work any better than regular caps. From what I understand it use some form of iron to scavenge free oxygen, I guess it may work. But how can you ever tell? As far as getting them wet, they should be put through a sanitation rinse anyway, so just rinse them in Starsan and call it good.

Plus 1 on the @Nosybear. Any Oxygen that was in that inch of headspace got consumed by the yeast and you are enjoying the carbonic acid and fuzziness as a result! Thank you Sugar Mushrooms!

Back