Overcarbonation...

Sean Fawcett

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I have a keg of beer (IPA) that I carbonated about three weeks ago. I pressurized it to about 30 psi when it was cold and left it for about 5 days. I've since learned thats too long. Anyway, I then released all the pressure through the pressure valve and re-pressurized to about 8psi and it's been sitting tin the fridge at that pressure for about 10 days or so.

Now, on tap, with the pressure at about 8, it's coming out super foamy. What's the best way to reduce carbonation without winding up with a flat beer. (I need to serve it in about 2 days)

Thanks

not sure about the best way, but maybe leave it out of the fridge to warm up and then release the pressure valve? then chill it back down to test the carb level, and burst carb it if it needs it

Take off the gas line. Bleed it a couple times a day. When bleeding releases little to no gas (after having sat for a day), reattach the gas line. It could take a few days for the gas to come out of the beer.

Another foaming issue could be the length and size of your line. Have you used a keg line balancing calculator? I poured foam for half a year before I learned about it.

Back