over sweet beer.

Floki

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
In November I fermented a Pale ale which called for 250gms of Dextrose as part of the recipe, I mistakenly poured about 150 to 200 grams of lactose into the fermenter before I realized what it was. I went ahead with the fermentation anyway, I kegged 9.5 litres in a party keg and bottled the rest. I sampled a bottle the other day and found it obviously oversweet. The secondary fermentation in the bottles and keg was done as usual with dextrose, after filling the keg I burped the keg with Co2 just as a sanitary precaution. The bottle I sampled had gassed quite nicely. My question is - should I dump the beer in the keg or as it is in a sanitary enviroment can i perhaps hop the beer in some manner to introduce a fair bit of bitterness to offset the over sweet flavour of the lactose. I obviously would perform the proceedure as as fast as possible, seal the keg and again burp it with C02 to try and retain the carbonation. Any comments would be greatly appreciated, regards all.

Why not make a hop tea boil a couple grams of hops for 60 minutes strain and add this. I've not done it but it may help.

Thanks Trialben, I could give that a try, but I don't know if it would affect the carbonation. If I cannot find another soulution I will try your suggestion, regards

It won't affect carbonation it'll affect bitterness and alcohol by volume percentage and probably serve to lower this perceived sweetness a little.

Adding bitterness will balance the beer out or if dry enzyme will break lactose down then a second ferment with viable yeast will fix it permanently

Back