Over cooked potato chips

GernBlanston

Trial Member
Reaction score
Late night drunken ramblings...

I really like those potato chips that somehow went through the frier twice. Or perhaps got stuck past the normal time. You know, the dark chips that you might find two or three of in a bag. Tasty, and rich in melenoidins. If some company would package a whole bag of them and market them on purpose, I think that I would never eat any other. I would have found my chip brand for life.

Am I alone in this?

I'm with you as a matter of fact you can slice a potato up how ever you like, I make home made potato skins, I leave the skin on and fry in vegetable oil and over cook until they have that same flavor, they come out brown in the end, add lots of sea salt ... its delicious

I can't find the brand, but there is one that doesn't wash the potatoes after cutting and it makes every chip just like you said.

I too like the double cooked chips.

Along the same lines are french fries that survived a second frying. Maybe one or two at most in a serving.

I've tried that in the past and always ended up with soggy messes.

I'll try it again though. I hate throwing the peels away.

use peanut oil, and if you fry then cool and fry again they will be crisp

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
use peanut oil, and if you fry then cool and fry again they will be crisp

I'll try it.

I don't keep peanut oil in hand so I'll have to try this after I hit the store over the weekend.

We're a vegetable oil house.

Austin said:
Even that might work almost as well.
The trick is definitely the fry-cool-fry technique! I always use it for my fried potatoes. :cool:
(and I just use standard rape-seed oil)

The best chips are made in Germany, where they fry them either in lard or palm oil. They're a heart attack in a "tute" but they sure are good, particularly with mayonnaise....

sbaclimber said:
Austin said:
Even that might work almost as well.
The trick is definitely the fry-cool-fry technique! I always use it for my fried potatoes. :cool:
(and I just use standard rape-seed oil)

Lower burning point that peanut oil, so I'm thinking it may not.

I'll give it a try. I'm having a gathering at my home over the weekend before my sister starts her fellowship in Washington D.C.

these are my signature home grown over cooked fries, love them

key: sea salt, fresh garlic powder from spice shop, fresh ground pepper put on before frying with a drop of oil rubbed in a bowl, then fried with an green onion bulb from the garden, in this case I had a gallon of left over canola oil from a huge fish fry, 50 pounds of catfish we ate selfishly lol

3 of these babies, did I say i love to fish?

Attachments

• WP_20150721_004.jpg
    WP_20150721_004.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 5,194
  • WP_20140702_028.jpg
    WP_20140702_028.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 5,205
soooooo hungry after seeing that! :D

Catfish and fries.... Warms the cockles of this Kentucky boy's heart! Pull that puppy fresh out of the Green River and fry him the same day.... Wash down with a good pale ale.... Daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County!

I don't eat catfish but those fries look awesome!

I tried mine, should have snagged pics, but they came out well double fried.

in the fish fry, the key to big fish is to spend some time cutting out the red meat then soak in salt water for 3 days changing it every day. It was a whole family affair, I think 8 in all came over, we used a corn meal with flour and a cajun spice mix, I also made fresh hush puppies. nothing was left as you might expect lol

I'm blessed and cursed at the same time, I can only eat fresh food so hunting and fishing is a must lol

Attachments

• WP_20140801_004.jpg
    WP_20140801_004.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 5,167
I would like to get back to hunting. It's been a while since I've had fresh game but I miss it.

on that note I just snagged a deer here, ground the whole thing up mixed with pork fat into burger meat, this will work in chili , hamburgers and spaghetti dishes for half the year, packaged all in 2 pound bricks I call them, nice

Back