Open to suggestions

JAMC

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The current batch gets bottled tomorrow and frees up the fermenter.

The next batch in planning will be consumed en masse at a hogroast in October, but I've not put a great deal of thought into what recipe to try. As this is going to be consumed by a lot of different people with different tastes, I'm thinking it would be sensible to stay below 30 IBU and below 6% abv.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions that fit the bill? I've brewed dubbels, golden ales and stouts previously but I have no preconceived ideas about styles for this one.

Maybe searching by IBU and ABV would be a good thing to request for the recipe search function..?

I imagine a basic pale ale would have general appeal. What sort of grains/extract, hops and yeast do you have?

Altbier bitte said:
I imagine a basic pale ale would have general appeal. What sort of grains/extract, hops and yeast do you have?
The stock room looks like this;
Pale (Maris Otter) - lots
Crystal - 1kg
Roasted Barley - 500g
Melanoidin - 250g
Spelt - 500g

Hops (at least 75g each)
EKG
Motueka
Pacific Gem

I'm completely out of yeast, so unless I decide to reculture something an order will have to be placed anyway. Not fazed by the prospect of getting additional grains/hops for this.

Looks like you have what you need for either an English pale ale or a Standard bitter.
Both woould be crowd pleasers
Good Luck

TBM

I'd just plug the MO, caramel and hops into the recipe builder and play with the numbers until you get the bitterness and OG/ABV where you want. Maybe lean on late hop (and/or dry hop) additions in order to get a lot of flavor without too much bitterness. If you are ordering yeast, I'm prejudiced in favor of Nottingham - it's quick and finishes clean.

Ok, how about this;

3.5 kg Maris Otter (~8lb)
250g Crystal (~9oz)

25g Motueka @ 60 mins (~0.9oz)
25g Motueka @ 10 mins (~0.9oz)

Wyeast London ESB 1968

According to the calc, this should give:

OG 1047, FG 1014, 4.23% abv
27 IBU
8 SRM

I like the idea of going single hop with the Motueka. Did play around with Nottingham in the calculator, but the attenuation was too high for the recipe (working on 90% mash efficiency) and it was throwing it out of style.

That looks pretty tasty. 1098 makes good beer. I like the restraint on the caramel - IMO, it's overdone quite a bit. You could dry hop that for a bit more hoppiness, but that looks nice; should have a high drinkability/crowd pleaser quotient.

I've thought about this some more, as I've got to do two batches of this back-to-back in order to produce 10 gallons.

Here's what I've come up with (slight modification of original idea);

3.5kg MO Pale
250g Crystal
100g Melanoidin

10g Pacific Gem @ First Wort
10g Motueka @ 60 mins
10g EK Goldings @ 60 mins
15g EK Goldings @ 10 mins

Yeast: Safale-04

Which should produce;
OG 1.047
FG 1.013
4.4% abv
26 IBU
8 SRM

I've thought about this some more, as I've got to do two batches of this back-to-back in order to produce 10 gallons.

Here's what I've come up with (slight modification of original idea);

3.5kg MO Pale
250g Crystal
100g Melanoidin

10g Pacific Gem @ First Wort
10g Motueka @ 60 mins
10g EK Goldings @ 60 mins
15g EK Goldings @ 10 mins

Yeast: Safale-04

Which should produce;
OG 1.047
FG 1.013
4.4% abv
26 IBU
8 SRM
Hell I’d drink it...

Lots of pig = lots of beer ;)
Definitely go for something that's easily drinkable.
I would probably be tempted to go for a lager or a simple blonde
(Don't know too many other styles)

Back