OOPS. Wrong bucket

Gunkleneil

Premium Member
Reaction score
So It's not been my week with the beers. My latest mishap is that I accidentally put Potassium Sorbate into my beer I was about to put sparkolloid into instead of the mead I took it out for. I don't have any kegging equipment and only bottle at this time. Is there anything i can do to get this to bottle condition now or am i pretty screwed?

So It's not been my week with the beers. My latest mishap is that I accidentally put Potassium Sorbate into my beer I was about to put sparkolloid into instead of the mead I took it out for. I don't have any kegging equipment and only bottle at this time. Is there anything i can do to get this to bottle condition now or am i pretty screwed?
Wowie man well it runs In threes this bad luck so you should be good soon:).

Sorry I can't help force carbonation seems like the obvious option...

So I pitched a packet of nottingham yeast today and waited 3 hrs then did the sugar and bottled it. Fingers crossed.
Wait, has this beer already been fermenting for a couple of weeks? It just seems odd that you are adding yeast at bottling. I have never heard of doing this. There shouldn't be any need to add more yeast at bottling time...

Wait, has this beer already been fermenting for a couple of weeks? It just seems odd that you are adding yeast at bottling. I have never heard of doing this. There shouldn't be any need to add more yeast at bottling time...
Because I accidently added potassium sorbate which prevents the yeast from multiplying. So I added more yeast to make sure it bottle conditions.

Last edited:
Hmmm...how much of what did you add to how much beer? You might save it albeit yeasty and you may be wanting to condition all that in clean-able and or disposable bottle cases and something to catch any glass and liquid! Any survivors should be chilled down to lessen any gushers! Good luck and go break a mirror or something to get this streak over with.....this isn't the same batch with the watery mash was it?

Because I accidently added potassium sorbate which prevents the yeast from multiplying. So I added more year to make sure it bottle conditions.

I think you will be ok. But, since you are in uncharted territory, I would recommend following the advice others have given.

Hmmm...how much of what did you add to how much beer? You might save it albeit yeasty and you may be wanting to condition all that in clean-able and or disposable bottle cases and something to catch any glass and liquid! Any survivors should be chilled down to lessen any gushers! Good luck and go break a mirror or something to get this streak over with.....this isn't the same batch with the watery mash was it?

No it's not the same as the water mash. I brewed this one about a month ago. I'm still new so I'm honestly curious why you think it's gonna go so wrong. What am I not seeing?
Here is my thinking on it. The yeast that originally fermented this batch got hit with potassium sorbate which should keep it from multiplying. Then I added 1 more packet of yeast and let that sit for a couple hours but it should also be inhibited from multiplying by the potassium sorbate. As far as I have learned in my limited time yeast can only eat so much before dying and there is only a limited amount of priming sugar, the same I've put in each 5 gallon batch I've made, for them to feed on and produce CO2. So since it can't reproduce it shouldn't be too yeast or explode. I think. I have been putting each brews batch of bottles into separate storage totes to be safe as I am new and will make a mistake sometime so I've been proactive about this but thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Adding yeast at bottling is a common practice or at least it used to be. Nottingham is a good yeast to use for bottle condition because it settles out so well. You're right in believing there won't be any gushers, because the only sugar available to the yeast is the conditioning sugar you added. Extra yeast doesn't produce extra carbonation, extra sugar does that. As far as the beer carbonating up, I think there's a good shot at that, but time will be the judge of that, the sorbate will certain slow that down. Good luck!

@HighVoltageMan! Thanks. I was starting to think I really missed something, which is very likely to be the case at some point. I filled a plastic water bottle as recommend Ina different thread so I can see/feel the carbonation. I will just have to keep an eye on this one and see what happens. Even flat it was good but not sure I would really drink too much of it flat.

Just as an aside...
If it tastes okay, but doesn't carb, you can still cook with it ;)

I brewed this one about a month ago. I'm still new so I'm honestly curious why you think it's gonna go so wrong. What am I not seeing?

Ok, if this was fermenting for a month before adding the potassium sorbate, then you'll be ok. I was concerned that the new yeast would consume remaining fermentation sugars plus the priming sugar, which would lead to over-carbonation in the bottles.

I not familiar with potassium sorbate dosing...I don't use it or other finings like that so not even having an idea of what sort of dilution we're dealing with says error on the side of caution. I'd hate to see a brewer get turned off because of the learning curve! Keep driving the wife and kids nuts!

Back